Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

monitoring internet traffic at home

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cdhimmel1

cdhimmel1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:56 PM

Is it possible/How do you monitor internet traffic at home?

My teenage son is going into private mode on the iPhone and I really would like to see the emails he is sending.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:20 PM

1. Is it possible/How do you monitor internet traffic at home?
  2. My teenage son is going into private mode on the iPhone and I really would like to see the emails he is sending.

1. Yes, you can monitor the traffic,

2. but not see his emails never, if he is smart.

To give advice is possible if is known which system and internet connection you are using. These can be very different. But I cannot understand, what gives You to see the traffic. If You are the owner, set up him allowed bandwidth, and thats all. Also You can block some IP's if it helps. I don't think so.

#3 cdhimmel1

cdhimmel1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:59 AM

Hello, and thank you for the information.

Question - what did you mean by "if he is smart"? 

The device is an Arris NVG589, and the carrier is AT&T.

And I'm mostly interested in the email. I think he might be in some trouble and don't want to appear intrusive if my fears are unjustified.

Thanks again,

Christopher

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:58 AM

It would be much simpler and more productive in the long run if you learned to talk to your kid. Just try to have an honest conversation with him, making sure he feels that you are on his side and he can entrust you with his thoughts. Otherwise, if you checked his e-mails and found something fishy, and presented him with that information, the negative impact of the erosion of the trust between you two might surpass the benefits of trying to help him. But hey, I'm no expert; do what you want to do.:)

#5 JimmyRiddle

JimmyRiddle

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:52 PM

It would be much simpler and more productive in the long run if you learned to talk to your kid. Just try to have an honest conversation with him, making sure he feels that you are on his side and he can entrust you with his thoughts. Otherwise, if you checked his e-mails and found something fishy, and presented him with that information, the negative impact of the erosion of the trust between you two might surpass the benefits of trying to help him. But hey, I'm no expert; do what you want to do. :)

Absolutely this. It's not a healthy situation if you are snooping on your kids correspondence surreptiously. If you have concerns then you should speak to him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users