Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows or hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dgiese

dgiese

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:26 PM

Hi - I have either a failing Windows 10 or a dead hard drive. I'm reasonably tech-savvy, but not literate on computer repair. I've googled a lot and read a lot, and tried a lot. Not really sure what any of it does, but I'm trying.

It started about 1 1/2 weeks ago. My pc was running extremely slow, so I restarted it. It spun on restart for a while - probably an hour while I did other stuff - so I forced it off with the power button. Started it back up and it took ewll over an hour to restart. I don't know exactly because I finally just went to bed. I ran a scannow and got one error, which it said it fixed. There were no drive errors and no unresolved problems. The pc was still barely responsive. I tried resetting Windows, but that got me stuck in a "diagnosing your PC" and "automatic repair" loop. I was able to get to advanced troubleshooting and ran a startup repair, then it finally booted. It's generally more resonsive now, but I'm not asking it to do anything. I looked at event viewer and I have a LOT of disk Error 7 and a recurring pattern of ESENT errors 454, 492, 471 - like 1 every second! Error checking and chkdsk show no errors. Ran another scannow and it hung at 58%. Trying to run a DISM cleanup, and it's been stuck on "image version: 10.0.10586.0" for an hour+. 

It's a Lenovo IdeaPad Z570, about 5 years old.

Next steps?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:37 PM

Most likely it is damaged Windows. But would be better if You say when was Windows installed (how long ago), how it was updated, how was cared, what hard drive is in use. And of course, what Windows version was in use. They are a bit different and usually the sfc scannow don't show any problems. It simply doesn't work on windows 10. Mostly always tells, that no problems found.

#3 dgiese

dgiese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:58 PM

Hmm, I'll do my best to answer your questions. I may not know all the answers.

The pc came with Windows 7 installed. I upgraded to Windows 10 about a week before the free upgrade offer ended, so approximately 1 year ago. 

I'm not sure what you mean by how Windows was cared for. 

It was last updated right before it broke, within 48 hours. It had been asking permission to update, and I kept telling it no, because it generally screws something up when it updates. Eventually it gets tired of asking permission and just does it on its own when you shut down the computer. I went out of town for the weekend and my son was using it for homework, so it updated. Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057).

It's a Hitachi HTS547575A9E384.

#4 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:23 PM

As I understand it, it has been updated only with the Windows Update system and still has a very old version of Windows 10 in use. You need to do a clean installation and install the latest version.
Servicing means cleaning junk files and outdated registry information/data. As I understand it, you do not do this, but it is very important to do it on a regular basis. Especially when using the HDD drive, if You use SSD it is less important.
It's also worth installing only software that you know exactly what it is and what you need. Not everything what You have found.
The first thing what is mandatory, it is clean and up to date not damaged Windows.
So, at first - clean and up to date Windows, then only these programs, what You need.

#5 dgiese

dgiese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:31 PM

Yeah, Zainmax I have no idea how to clean junk files and outdated registry information. I don't even know what that is or where to start.

I don't think I have much software installed that I don't know what it is, except the extra crap that came preinstalled on the pc. I don't use much outside of Office and Chrome.

I'm not sure how I can get my hands on a clean updated Windows. Can I get it from another computer? My son just bought a new pc last week (guess he got tired of waiting for me to fix my old broken one!)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:04 PM

BC does not recommend the use of registry cleaners. You can run Seatools for Windows to determine if the drive is bad but I would back up any personal data first as the test itself can stress a drive that is failing and put it over the edge. I would also backup any license files for your purchased programs. Run the long and short tests. 

Download the Media Creation Tool for Windows 10. You can run the program on any computer. This will give you the option to create a bootable DVD, USB flash drive, or an iso file you can burn to DVD. Because you upgraded to Windows 10 you have a digital license on Microsoft servers. You do not need to enter a key during install. Click next and once online the OS will activate.

Do a clean install per the following guide. It's for Windows 8 but the steps for 10 are the same. It's always better to do a clean install. You may need to download and install additional drivers from your computer's support site.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-8-or-8-1-2626254

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users