Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD every few days [Windows 10]

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 JowySi

JowySi

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:44 PM

Since I first got this computer, I've been having BSOD issues every few days. The longest stretch of no problems was three weeks after refreshing Windows 10.

Specs: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/uOmQXT7stAbTaEKvfqRuqcs

I have done stress tests (I ran Furmark for 20 minutes and the temps were 80c on average. The Dell Stress test passed), Hardware tests( Seagate/Dell all have passed), Found no malaware, Restored BIOS to default settings, updated drives, Did Memtest(took over nine hours for four passes and no errors), refreshed Windows 10, did the sfc/restore health type scans. 

These BSODs happen while either playing games like Terraria(modded) or while watching youtube. But again, it's every few days. Just that, I know that it can't continue because I know what happens if you do.

The only thing I have not done is reinstall Windows 10 entirely or do any physical changes to the hardware. I attached the file collection and two dump.text files(one august 30, the other September 5th) if that helps. I have the original dump files too, if you need those. 

I just want to know what to do. Thanks in advance. 

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:33 PM

Hi,

Looking at your system this appears to be a graphics card related issue. Please start by reinstalling your graphics drivers. To do so, please:

-create a system restore point
-download your graphics drivers from here
-run DDU to fully uninstall your old graphics drivers
-reboot

-install the freshly downloaded graphics drivers from earlier

BTW, I'm not sure whether if you need this graphics controller driver too:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=Y1RRJ&fileId=3598185574&osCode=WT64A&productCode=inspiron-3656-desktop&languageCode=en&categoryId=VI

If you still get BSODs, please provide us with MEMORY.DMP:

:step1: Upload MEMORY.DMP

• Press and hold the Windows Key + R on your keyboard at the same time.
• In the Run box, type in %WinDir% and hit Enter on your keyboard.
• Find the file MEMORY.DMP and copy/paste it on to your Desktop.
• Zip up MEMORY.DMP (use .ZIP please!!!) and upload it to a trustworthy file-sharing service.

regards,
bwv848

Edited by bwv848, 08 September 2017 - 12:34 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 JowySi

JowySi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:15 PM

Okay! I did what you instructed. And yes, I do use the controller that comes with Re-Live. Had to re-update it though. Anyway, if I have any further BSODs, I'll be sure to let you know. I use Dropbox. Is that trustworthy?

Thanks!

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:58 PM

Yes. I trust DropBox. :)

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 JowySi

JowySi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:39 PM

It just happened again. I can't find the memory.dmp anywhere. All I have is the minidump.

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:41 PM

Minidumps are fine too. Just re-run the Sysnative File Collection App.

#7 JowySi

JowySi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:02 PM

Okay. I did that. The file is attached. 

Or here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jovm5xllmcgdlrq/SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip?dl=0

Edited by JowySi, 18 September 2017 - 01:13 PM.

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:25 AM

Thanks...

BugCheck 124, {0, ffffca8d40aad038, 0, 0}
Probably caused by : AuthenticAMD
1: kd> !errrec ffffca8d40aad038
===============================================================================
Common Platform Error Record @ ffffca8d40aad038
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Id     : 01d3309f5148adb6
Severity      : Fatal (1)
Length        : 928
Creator       : Microsoft
Notify Type   : Machine Check Exception
Timestamp     : 9/18/2017 16:58:20 (UTC)
Flags         : 0x00000002 PreviousError

Section 0     : Processor Generic
Descriptor    @ ffffca8d40aad0b8
Section       @ ffffca8d40aad190
Offset        : 344
Length        : 192
Flags         : 0x00000001 Primary
Severity      : Fatal

Proc. Type    : x86/x64
Instr. Set    : x64
Error Type    : BUS error
Operation     : Generic
Flags         : 0x00
Level         : 3
CPU Version   : 0x0000000000660f01
Processor ID  : 0x0000000000000000

Section 1     : x86/x64 Processor Specific
Descriptor    @ ffffca8d40aad100
Section       @ ffffca8d40aad250
Offset        : 536
Length        : 128
Flags         : 0x00000000

Local APIC Id : 0x0000000000000000
CPU Id        : 01 0f 66 00 00 08 04 00 - 0b 32 d8 7e ff fb 8b 17
                00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
                00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Proc. Info 0  @ ffffca8d40aad250

Section 2     : x86/x64 MCA
Descriptor    @ ffffca8d40aad148
Section       @ ffffca8d40aad2d0
Offset        : 664
Length        : 264
Flags         : 0x00000000

Error         : BUSLG_OBS_ERR_*_NOTIMEOUT_ERR (Proc 0 Bank 4)
  Status      : 0xfa000010000b0c0f

So we have a STOP 0x00000124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR bugcheck indicating a Bus error. Honestly, I still suspect a graphics related fault, especially since you have on-board graphics, i.e. your CPU is essentially your graphics card, and since Windows has trouble differentiating between the two (seen this in many cases), it just points a finger at the processor.

Since I first got this computer, I've been having BSOD issues every few days.

I missed this important snippet of information in your first post, when did you buy this system? If it is still under warranty, go ahead and return it — it's the fastest and easiest way out.

#9 JowySi

JowySi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:34 AM

The system was purchased in early July (around July 7th). I don't think I can return it(and quite honestly don't want to) as I don't have another desktop and can't get another one at this time. 

It IS still under warranty though and it expires Jan 2018.  I got it as a gift from someone who ordered it on Amazon. But, the warranty is Dell's.

What are the other options?

Edited by JowySi, 19 September 2017 - 10:49 AM.

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:36 AM

There are of course more options. Some suggestions...

First, I recommend that your BIOS is fully updated to rule out the chance of low-level compatibility issues. I've seen cases in which problems that appeared to be hardware-related were actually because of a buggy BIOS version. Anyway, in your case, your BIOS version is 2.2.0 from 6/13/2016. Updates can be found on your motherboard's (or manufacturer's) website. As updating the BIOS presents several risks, please ensure that your computer doesn't have the risk of shutting down halfway through (so DO NOT update it during a thunderstorm or if the state of the PSU is questionable) and double-check that you have obtained the correct BIOS version for your motherboard. Here are some guides that I've found on the internet:

These are just general guides. ALWAYS follow the instructions posted on your motherboard's (or manufacturer's) website.

Second, please ensure that Windows is fully updated. You have four installed. Occasionally (theoretically very rarely) BSODs/hangs can be caused by missing Windows Updates. Here's a guide on how to check for and install Windows Updates:

Do triple-check, as it usually takes several checks to get all available updates.

Third, please run Driver Verifier for 24 hours (this means that your computer is ACTUALLY on): http://carrona.org/verifier.html

Fourth, I suggest you run Prime95 to stress the CPU & RAM - run the BLEND test for 24 hours (this means that your computer is ACTUALLY on). Since you've run MemTest86, SeaTools, and FurMark this is the "last" diagnostic you have yet to run (don't think further video stress tests will help, as you have an on-board graphics card).

Fifth, if the four suggestions don't help, please backup all your data and perform a "clean" install of Windows. usasma, my fellow BSOD analyst, has put together a very good description regarding what this means (which can be found in the pinned topic "How to fix your BSOD"):

A clean install is:
- Windows is installed to a freshly partitioned hard drive with legitimate installation media (W10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ).
- The installation media is only a copy of Windows, not the OEM recovery disks that you can make on some systems.
- Windows is fully updated after it's installed. That's ALL updates - none excepted.
- NO 3rd party software is installed.
- There are no errors in Device Manager (if you find any, post back for suggestions).

This will wipe everything off of the computer, so it's advisable to backup your stuff first.
Also, it will wipe out all the special software that the OEM added to the system, so if you rely on any of that - let us know what it is so we can figure out a way to save/download it (the easiest way is to create/obtain the OEM's recovery media) - but do this BEFORE you start the clean install!

If unable to find recovery media that has the software (or if you suspect that this is a hardware problem), you can make an image of your system that'll preserve everything in the state that it was in when you made the image.
One drawback to this is that you're making an image of a malfunctioning system - so, if there are errors in the system software, you'll have a nice copy of them :(
Another drawback is that the image of the system will be very large - so you'll most likely need a large external drive to store it on.
But, this will allow you to save everything on the hard drive (although you'll need an image viewer to get things out of the image).
The point here is that, if it's a hardware problem, then you can restore the system to the point it was when you made the image - after you repair the hardware problem.
You can obtain more info on imaging in the Backup/Imaging/DiskMgmt forums located here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

The point of doing this (the clean install) is to:
- rule out Windows as a problem (if the problem continues, it's not a Windows problem as you completely replaced Windows
- rule out 3rd party software (if the problem continues, it's not a 3rd party software problem as you didn't install any 3rd party software)
- so, if the problem continues, it must be a hardware problem.

OTOH, if the problem stops, then it was either a Windows or 3rd party software problem. If the problem doesn't come back, then you've fixed it. Then all that remains is setting the computer back up the way that you'd like it and importing your data from the backup you made.

If you're still running into BSODs, please post back into this topic, and I'll give a few more suggestions and re-assess your situation.

regards,
bwv848

Edited by bwv848, 19 September 2017 - 11:39 AM.

#11 JowySi

JowySi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:09 PM

Wait...an ONBOARD Graphics card? You mean integrated? I read the reviews/seller claims that said that my computer had a DEDICATED graphics card. Could there have been some kind of misleading or mistaking going on? I have to accept that possibility and it is making me very unhappy.

Is it possible to ADD a dedicated graphics card to this computer?  If so, what kind? If not, then I can see why you said that it was easiest/fastest to return it, but at this point, I can only return it to Dell, but even if they were to fix whatever problem this computer has or replace it, I would still end up with the same kind of computer. 

It's not that I don't like the computer as it has served me well (and still does) for work, but I just wanted a dedicated graphics card as they tend to be better.

Edited by JowySi, 19 September 2017 - 12:39 PM.

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:17 PM

Sorry, I made a mistake. I read online that your model is equipped only with on-board graphics. HOWEVER, I just found out that there are some variants which have dedicated graphics, namely a Radeon R9 360. I overlooked this, my apologies. I really should've known better as Windows clearly reported that you have a R9 360.

Edited by bwv848, 19 September 2017 - 01:22 PM.

#13 JowySi

JowySi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:22 PM

It's okay. It happens. Yea, I have one of the variants. I wonder if replacing the graphics card is viable...

Anyway, according to Dell System detect, updating BIOS is not necessary. Windows DID update, but primarily Windows Defender. I also fixed a conflict between two anti-virus softwares. Will be doing the 24 hour tests as soon as I can.

#14 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:43 AM

Thanks for the update.

#15 JowySi

JowySi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:25 PM

I did get a new issue. But, it's a black screen issue. The monitor shut off but the computer stayed on. I basically had to do a hard reset, unplug/replug the keyboard to get everything working again. At one point, the computer even got superloud so I had to unplug it to shut it up. Everything is fine now, but that is worrying.

Then again, I was trying to render a video with Google chrome on and maybe my poor 180w PSU got a bit overtaxed. 

No BSODs though. 

Usually, when the monitor shuts off, it's just a power save thing, but not this time, which is why I mention it here. 

Edited by JowySi, 20 October 2017 - 10:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users