Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Service

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Pearlie

Pearlie

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:24 PM

:thumbsup: Hi, this problem has been occurring over the past 3 months and I can't seem to find the answer. I use Mediacom Cable Internet Service. The repairman has been here on this problem 3 times but it never stays fixed. I reset the modem evry day at least 3 times. Here is what happens. I will be logged on to the internet and suddenly the connection drops. The modem will go off and if I leave it alone sometimes after about 30 minutes to an hour it will come back on. The modem has been replaced with a brand new one so I don't think that is the problem. Any suggestions?
Specs: Dell Deminsion 8400-Windows XPS2-Norton Internet Security
512 installed ram-80 g harddrive-3.4 p4 processor. Thanks for help.
pearliev

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:53 PM

hi, Pearlie,

sounds like it could be overheating, is it near any heat-sources, are any vents blocked? make sure any vents are clear, perhaps blow a deskfan over it for a day and see if problem goes. my modem gets very hot, even tho it is situated in a well ventilated area!

good luck

#3 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:33 PM

Have you tried using a different piece of ethernet cable? Sometimes a bad piece of cable can cause random and frequent disconnects.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,114 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 06:06 PM

Also try a different power outlet. There could be a problem with power fluctuation on the line.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:11 AM

Are there many splits in the cable before it gets to the cable modem? If so, try splitting the cable where it comes into the house - 1 side for the cable modem and one side for everything else (there'll be plenty of power for the TV's on the other side).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:47 AM

Also, you might have the cable company come and check your outside wiring. If they are above ground little critterslove to chew into them (thereby interrupting your internet!). Even if they are underground, there are still plenty of things down there that could deteriorate the cabling.

#7 Pearlie

Pearlie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:16 PM

Thanks to rubiconeye, I am getting the fan. Gary the cable has been replaced. Thank you. boopme I will change the power outlet now.. :thumbsup: usasma the repairman told me the lines had been checked and that the split was done right. I will have my son check that out. These are some things I had not thought of so lots of help here. Thank goodness for all of you. Pearliev

#8 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:39 PM

Yourwelcome. Glad I was of help to you.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:48 PM

I reset the modem evry day at least 3 times. Here is what happens. I will be logged on to the internet and suddenly the connection drops. The modem will go off and if I leave it alone sometimes after about 30 minutes to an hour it will come back on.

When you say the modem "goes off", do you mean the lights go off and it has no output?

If that's the case the problem is the modem, its power cable or in the electric outlet. The modem can be defective even if it was replaced before. The lights should not go out.

#10 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:25 PM

I reset the modem evry day at least 3 times. Here is what happens. I will be logged on to the internet and suddenly the connection drops. The modem will go off and if I leave it alone sometimes after about 30 minutes to an hour it will come back on.

When you say the modem "goes off", do you mean the lights go off and it has no output?

If that's the case the problem is the modem, its power cable or in the electric outlet. The modem can be defective even if it was replaced before. The lights should not go out.

This is very true. I would definitley have someone come out and replace the modem again.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:45 PM

I set my home LAN up without a repair person and experienced cable interruptions constantly. After reading a bit I went up in the attic and found 30 year old cable with splitters running everywhere! I cut the cable where it came into the house, ran one leg directly to the cable modem and haven't had a problem since!

The repairman at the wife's office also said that the cable was ok (another 30 year old building) - but we still got interruptions there. I again split the cable where it came into the building and ran one leg to the modem - no problems since!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:07 PM

I set my home LAN up without a repair person and experienced cable interruptions constantly. After reading a bit I went up in the attic and found 30 year old cable with splitters running everywhere! I cut the cable where it came into the house, ran one leg directly to the cable modem and haven't had a problem since!

The repairman at the wife's office also said that the cable was ok (another 30 year old building) - but we still got interruptions there. I again split the cable where it came into the building and ran one leg to the modem - no problems since!

There are alot of dumb technicians out there, but for every dumb one there's also one that knows what he's doing. You just have to hope you'll be lucky enough to deal with one that knows what he's doing.

Edited by Gary335, 18 September 2006 - 11:08 PM.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:30 AM

There are alot of dumb technicians out there, but for every dumb one there's also one that knows what he's doing. You just have to hope you'll be lucky enough to deal with one that knows what he's doing.

Yes, it's definitely "caveat emptor" (let the buyer beware)! The funny thing is that the repairman in this case was the son of a friend of ours.

#14 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:43 AM

Yes, it sure is.

Posts edited by removing unnecessary quotations

Edited by Scarlett, 25 September 2006 - 10:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users