Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3.5mb/s? On Sata!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:08 PM

I just became the vicitm of a nasty hard drive crash and I stuck in a SATA 80GB HD alongside the other which I was using for storage, while using my 40GB (RIP) IDE HD. So, now I have no IDE drives, except for my optical drives (still on IDE channel 1), and 2 SATA drives. What gets me here is that when I tested the speeds of both drives using HD Tach, my primary SATA drive came out with a healthy 135MB/s and my secondary 80GB HD crawled at a 3.5MB/s. They are identical drives, Western Digital Caviar SE 80GB SATA 1.5. My motherboard is an MSI PM8M-V with RAID capabilites. I dont want RAID, I just want my second hard drive to become as fast as it's twin.

My BIOS settings are:

SATA: enabled
SATA mode: IDE (second option is RAID)

Another thing that gets me is that the second hard drive, while accesing ANYTHING on it, my CPU goes full use. I mean 100% CPU usage while even looking at the drive in My Computer!

Any help is greatly appreciated

~lego

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 04:00 PM

When windows gets lots of errors it switches from DMA to PIO mode. That will result in you getting lousy transfer speeds. You will need to uninstall the IDE channel in the Device Manager. After you reboot windows will reinstall it, then you should be able to tell it to "Use DMA if Available".
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:15 PM

Its a fresh install though. And I have two devices per channel EX: 2x Pirmary IDE channel

It's taking 5+ hours to reformat the stinking thing. But I will take your suggestion into account when the format finishes.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:37 PM

I figured it out. My D: drive is running in PIO mode and to fix it I need to get a hotfix from M$. Go figure. No, not from the internet, I need to call them. Can somebody like FTP hotfix 817472 to me? (<--- againt rules?)

- Rick Cook

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:04 AM

According to Microsoft this hotfix is included in SP2.

Here's a link to the contents of SP2: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811113/

The list isn't in numerical order (even tho' it seems to be), the link to 817472 is listed about way down the page.

Edited by usasma, 18 September 2006 - 09:08 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users