Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows will not install to disk. Tried DiskPart but not help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Murphy625

Murphy625

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:12 PM

I bought a used Panasonic Toughbook CF-31.. Its an older unit MK1 with an intel i5 processor.

I never trust computers until I've wiped them clean and reinstalled all my own stuff..  I used DBAN to wipe the drive (DOD Short) as I always do..

I burned windows to a bootable USB drive (as I always do) and then tried to install it but the installation fails when I try to get past the part where it asks me which partition to install it on.

The drive is clean..

I get the following errors

"Windows can't be installed on drive 0 partition 1. (show details)  

When I click to show details, it says:
Windows cannot be installed to this disk.  This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk.  Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.

I've scanned google to solve this problem with no success.  

I tried the disk part procedure as follows but it had no affect...

Start DISKPART.

Type LIST DISK and identify your SSD disk number (from 0 to n disks).

Type SELECT DISK <n> where <n> is your SSD disk number.

Type CLEAN

Type CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

Type ACTIVE

Type FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK

Type ASSIGN

Type EXIT twice (one to get out of DiskPart, the other to exit the command line tool)

I have also tried changing the bios from AHCL (or whatever it was) to "Compatible" and that didn't work either..

Suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:29 PM

I'm not sure if this computer has UEFI vs Legacy BIOS. If UEFI with SecureBoot you need to initialize the drive as GPT.

Diskpart

list disk

select disk x

clean

convert GPT

exit

It's not necessary to partition and format as Windows 8 on a GPT disk will need to format the EFI system partition as FAT32. Leave the drive blank and click next when you see the Window with disk listed with unallocated space. Keep the setting as AHCI.

Edit: Besides the EFI system partition Windows will create a MSR partition, the Windows partition, and the Recovery partition.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 September 2017 - 01:30 PM.

#3 Murphy625

Murphy625
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for trying but converting to GPT didn't work..   I get the exact same message...

EDIT:  After converting to GPT, and getting the same error, I went into the BIOS and changed from "Compatible" back to "AHCI" to see if that would work in combination with your suggestion.

I still get the exact same error.

Edited by Murphy625, 07 September 2017 - 01:52 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:54 PM

When you get to the screen shown below is a disk listed?

windows-8-clean-install-10-5807121f5f9b5

#5 Murphy625

Murphy625
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:57 PM

Yes, a disk is listed as "Drive 0 Unallocated Space"  239 GB

I think if I do a diskpart, it will also list it as "Drive 0 Partitian 1" or something like that..   Same error either way.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:04 PM

Usually if the disk is blank then it's a drive controller driver missing but I can't understand why you can't install if the disk is present. If you set the UEFI/BIOS back to default does it help?

Edit: Please see this support page for clean installing 8.1 on the CF31

http://pc-dl.panasonic.co.jp/itn/support/win81info31#No4

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 September 2017 - 02:17 PM.

#7 Murphy625

Murphy625
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:21 PM

I got it!   I tried doing all kinds of crazy things.. even went so far as to hit the "Load Setup Defaults" in the bios menu..  its working!

Thanks for all your help folks! 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:27 PM

Glad you solved the problem and thanks for the update. See my edited post on doing clean installs on the CF31. That may provide additional help in regards to drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users