Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

not a computer but looking for printer. hardware forum is for support

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:02 PM

years ago. i mean litterally a decade or more, one of the better entry level inkjet printers was the HP 722. other than yellow ink depletion being higher than the magenta and cyan (single color cartridge) it was a very good printer in my opinion. it might not have been super fast but on high quality it produced some wonderful prints that i still have...

what is today's equivalent to the 722?

i dont need an all in one. i dont need the cheapest on the market. i dont need a large format. i dont want expensive inks or inks that run out way too fast. i dont think a color laser printer is what i need either. we have Xerox at work and they use a wax based ink that a) bleeds and B) changes color when laminating. this is no good for me...

what are some options that fill my needs?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:15 PM

some questions to ask before recommendations.....

do you need color printing?

how many pages on average do you print per month?

Edited by mikey11, 07 September 2017 - 12:15 PM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:17 PM

It is going to be very difficult not to get an all-in-one as far as printing goes until you start looking at the higher end of the market for office printers or are looking for a dedicated photo printer, which you're not.

If you want another inkjet printer I would advise looking at Canon's and Epson's offerings, limiting the models you're looking at to those that use separate ink tanks for each color and, usually, two for black:  pigmented and dye based.  Some only use one for black and that would be dye-based just like the color inks.

An added advantage, if you're so inclined, is that all of these models have readily available off-the-shelf refillable ink cartridges with auto-reset chips.  You can save well over the cost of the printer itself, plus the cost of the cartridge set and ink, after only a very few refills.  You could also consider a continuous ink supply system, which are also readily available for these models, too.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:21 PM

i dont image very many. it'll basically be for any school work my daughter may need. we've run to my parents house (lol) in the past but thats just not an option all of the time...

its definitely not an office environment

#5 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:24 PM

i dont image very many. it'll basically be for any school work my daughter may need. we've run to my parents house (lol) in the past but thats just not an option all of the time...

its definitely not an office environment

unless your printing EXTREMELY low volume....i would say less then 10 pages per week, i would always recommend a laser printer,

they are more expensive to begin with, but save you money in the long run

#6 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:25 PM

It is going to be very difficult not to get an all-in-one as far as printing goes until you start looking at the higher end of the market for office printers or are looking for a dedicated photo printer, which you're not.

If you want another inkjet printer I would advise looking at Canon's and Epson's offerings, limiting the models you're looking at to those that use separate ink tanks for each color and, usually, two for black:  pigmented and dye based.  Some only use one for black and that would be dye-based just like the color inks.

An added advantage, if you're so inclined, is that all of these models have readily available off-the-shelf refillable ink cartridges with auto-reset chips.  You can save well over the cost of the printer itself, plus the cost of the cartridge set and ink, after only a very few refills.  You could also consider a continuous ink supply system, which are also readily available for these models, too.

thanks. im not opposed to getting an all-in-one, it just seems like more stuff that i dont need. trying to keep it all simple...

i see lots and lots of refill kits offered (i just looked at Amazon for printer ideas and now i KNOW ill get lots of ads for printers and inks), i tried that once on my 722 but wasnt really satisfied with the results...

it will be a low consumption printer, mainly for my daughter so auto-refill is probably something that i wont need, but thanks for the info!

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:59 PM

While I agree with mikey11 with regard to laser printers over the long run, I don't like them for very low volume printing at all.  The issues that can crop up with the fusers and similar from sitting idle are sometimes not trivial.

Also, I don't know that laser printers are cheaper in the long run if you get cartridges that you can refill or a CISS.   I've purchased what amounts to a lifetime supply of inkjet ink for a song and it's an easy matter to grab the syringe and refill the cartridge or transfer some ink to a squeeze bottle I can keep on hand with a small nozzle to do the same.  I think I'm on my third printer (over the course of something like 10 to 15 years) and have been refilling my cartridges almost as long.  I emphasized the Canon and Epson line because they're very easy to refill and, even if you don't want to do that, individual ink tanks are more economical than tri-color tanks since I have yet to run out of all colors on a tri-color printer, but must replace the tri-color cartridge when any one of them runs out.

There's no doubt, though, that inkjet printer manufacturers know that they are going to make their money, many times over, on ink cartridges even if they were to give the printer away.  When a single ink cartridge for the really low end all-in-ones can cost almost half the cost of the device itself, well, you do the math.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:54 PM

There's no doubt, though, that inkjet printer manufacturers know that they are going to make their money, many times over, on ink cartridges even if they were to give the printer away.

that is what they are gambling on,

however, in this day and age they can't really be so sure about that, there are lots of aftermarket ink suppliers,

when i had inkjet printers years ago, i would not buy the manufacturers ink refills, i would buy the aftermarket ink refills off ebay at a much lesser price, and in my experience with those refills, they worked just as well,

since then i have moved on to bigger and better things, i have no need for color printing, last year a bought a canon MF217 laser printer and couldnt be more happy with it,

toner lasts me about 2500 pages, and again i buy aftermarket toner only cost about $25,

i print alot though, on average probably over 100 pages a week,

the only time i would advise an inkjet printer is for very low volume, like 10 pages a week

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users