Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Merging Cell in Word Table Issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fitzy04

fitzy04

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:53 AM

Hello all!

So I am an IT Analyst for a company and one of our users sends out a document of projections and events happening. In this document, there are a few tables to make everything line up and "look pretty." She uses a template so that she doesn't have to keep recreating each document from scratch and she noticed that in one of the tables, of the 20 cells in 1 table, 4 of them were blank. She went back to older documents, which she has saved and noticed the same 4 cells are missing in each document, but when she sent them out each week, I can confirm that they were there. We opened up one of the documents and each of the 4 cells (just the text is missing but the cells are still there) do not allow us to click in the cell. We thought maybe we could just re-add the text, but it won't let us even get the cursor inside the blank cells.

So, I created my own table in a new word document on a separate machine and when I merge cells from left to right, it's completely fine. But, if I vertically merge cells, any text in any of the merged cells disappear and the cell becomes inaccessible until I click the undo button to undo the merge, as stated above with the weekly-sent out document. So, out of curiosity, I selected 2 vertical cells that had no text in it yet and merged them and, again, the cells become inaccessible until I hit the undo button to undo the merge.

I've tried checking options to make sure the cells haven't been put in "Protected Mode" or anything like that, but again, it happens in a completely new document on a different machine as well.

Out of curiosity, I checked Excel 2016 and whether I merge horizontal cells or vertical cells, it works perfectly.

Has anyone seen this or can offer suggestions?

Windows 8.1 Enterprise

Microsoft Office 2016 (specifically Word 2016)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 newyorktaxi

newyorktaxi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:31 PM

Hello,

I am literally having this EXACT same problem today.  I have two Word documents with tables that I've been working in for a while.  This document was originally created years ago and there are numerous iterations of it.  When I opened it today, almost all of the vertically merged cells in the tables are blank and I cannot click in them.  Two remain accessible (but only one still has the original text).  I have no idea what happened.  I tried creating a new column but as soon as I merge, the cell becomes unclickable.  I have to "undo" in order to get the cells back.  I tried copying all of the other columns into a new document and creating a new column - same result.  However, if I open a new document and create a new table from scratch, it works properly.

I'm extremely frustrated because the chart has a ton of tracked changes that are important and necessary for my upcoming meeting.  I'm looking at having to make this table from scratch now and I'm not happy about it.  Help!

EDIT: I just went back and looked at all of my older version and it's the same thing you found.  The exact same cells are missing in every document.  :(

EDIT 2: I'm using Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 on Windows 7.

Edited by newyorktaxi, 07 September 2017 - 12:54 PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,126 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:56 PM

I can't say this is your issue but some people had this issue after an update.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_win10/word-not-displaying-table-data-with-merged-cells/88d25b43-8441-4b64-9bcf-4d75b27a30f9?auth=1

#4 fitzy04

fitzy04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:59 PM

JohnC_21,

You are my new friend lol. It wasn't the same exact Word update (maybe because I'm on Windows 8.1 Enterprise, not Windows 10; update KB4011039) but essentially, yes, there was an update to Word 2016 that was installed yesterday. I uninstalled it and the text that was missing reappeared.

#5 newyorktaxi

newyorktaxi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:14 PM

JohnC_21,

THANK YOU!!! I also uninstalled KB4011039, and that did the trick.  You rock!!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,126 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:25 PM

Your Welcome, and thanks to both of you for taking the time to give an update.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,465 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:19 PM

@JohnC #3

Now that's what I call economy of effort - solve two problems with one post !

Chris Cosgrove

#8 EnriquePhoenix

EnriquePhoenix

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:41 AM

Worked. Thanks!

#9 newyorktaxi

newyorktaxi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:49 PM

Another update.... Microsoft did another set of updates last night and reinstalled KB4011039.  At least I know how to fix it, even if I have to uninstall it every day.   <_< 

#10 apex2000

apex2000

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for this. Had the same problem and it was driving me insane. No more KB4011039 on my machine.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users