Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound/WiFi icons disappearing in taskbar

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ireallyhateviruses

ireallyhateviruses

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:52 AM

If you search my Bleeping Computer history, you will see that my computer (a 4 year old Samsung laptop running Windows 8.1) has had some problems in the past. Luckily, everything has been normal recently until this week.

Tuesday -- When I turned on my computer for the day, I noticed that my WiFi icon and the small white speaker icon (not the orange/brown Realtek HD Audio Manager icon) were absent from the taskbar. The only two icons that were there were the white flag for Windows Action Center and my laptop's battery icon. If I clicked on the "Show hidden icons" arrow, the WiFi and sound icons were still missing.

My laptop has this funny issue where it doesn't automatically connect to WiFi when I boot it -- I have to click on the WiFi icon every morning and select which network I want to connect to. I don't know why it does that. So since the WiFi icon was gone on Tuesday, I had to search my computer for "Connect to a network" before I could connect to the internet. After I did that, the WiFi icon reappeared in my taskbar.

As for sound, I was able to change the volume using the keys on my keyboard, but the volume icon did not appear in the taskbar.

Wednesday -- All icons were in the taskbar where they should be!

Today (Thursday) -- WiFi and sound icons were missing again.

I'm not sure what could be causing this. I haven't installed any new programs recently, I haven't changed any computer settings, and I haven't had any other issues recently (aside from the WiFi connect thing, though that's happened for years now).

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Quick edit: I clicked on "Customize" under the "Show hidden icons" window. WiFi/Network was set to "Show icon and notifications" (so why does it disappear in the morning?) and Volume was set to "Only show notifications." I changed Volume to "Show icon and notifications," but it hasn't returned to the taskbar.

So Volume (and possibly Network until I connected to a network) had its behaviour changed. How would that have happened if I didn't change it?  :scratchhead:

Edited by ireallyhateviruses, 07 September 2017 - 09:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:41 AM

Delete thumbnail and icon cache with the batch script from below link.

Install latest versions of audio and wireless card drivers.

"Thumbnail and Icon Cache Rebuilder"
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/618825/thumbnail-and-icon-cache-rebuilder/

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users