Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Do you want to allow changes' pop up ???

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 trampus

trampus

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:26 AM

Similar prob to another post, sorry but confusion reigns ! I recently received attachment to trusted e-mail. It was a WORD doc. I got pop up asking did I want to allow changes to this computer and agreed. I read the attachment, then problems started.  I now can't open any documents without getting the pop up and when I click YES, nothing happens. (I've also clicked NO and nothing happens.) I tried a system restore at point before this event, but no change.  I use OFFICE 2003 and Windows 7. Desperate to access and print docs, but can't even see them now ... any ideas please ???  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:38 AM

ShadowExplorer allows you to browse the Shadow Copies created by the Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / 10 Volume Shadow Copy Service. You can use ShadowExplorer to recover your files.

2GvnEq2.gif

#3 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:51 AM

Hi, I suspect you have corrupted your Normal.dot word template, changes are made to this, in circumstances similar to your description. Go to folder options "view" and check "show hidden files and folders". (you might like to undo this when finished)

Next press win+ r keys together, in the run dialogue box copy paste:-

%userprofile%\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\templates (press OK)

The normal.dot template will show, right click and select delete. Make sure you have not attempted to open any word doc's prior to doing this, (this does no harm). Restart computer and open a word doc, windows will create a fresh template. Let us know how you get on.

#4 trampus

trampus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:50 AM

Many, many thanks.  Will try this now and let you know ...

#5 trampus

trampus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:11 AM

Hi Jenae. I'm afraid I got the same message after following the instructions and shutting down. Message says "Do you want the following program to make changes to this computer ?" and the program is WINWORD.EXE    which I can't find in program files.  Thought I could just delete it. 

#6 trampus

trampus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:23 AM

Hi Freebooter.  Sorry to you too !  Tried Shadow Explorer link and ended up with speed checker ... or other things I didn't want, but no Shadow Explorer !

Forgive me, I'm over 70 and not that sharp, but confused by too many download options !

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:24 AM

Press the Windows key windows-key.png  and the R key to open the Run box.

When the Run box opens type in control, then click/tap on OK.  This will open the Control Panel.

Navigate to System and Security, then Action Center.

From the left pane, Select Change User Account Control settings.

Drag the scroll button to Never notify.

Click on OK to save your settings.

Edited by dc3, 07 September 2017 - 10:28 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 trampus

trampus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:47 AM

Hello Bleeping Tree Hugger ...

Thank you so much for your advice. Happy to say I have now regained access to everything.  Many, many thanks again.

Trampus.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:50 AM

There are distinct dangers to setting User Account Control to "Never Notify" and leaving it there.  I would not advise leaving that setting after you've cleaned up whatever needs cleaning up.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#10 trampus

trampus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:57 AM

I did wonder about that Brian.  Just concerned that if I put it back as it was, the problem will start again ...

Thanks for sharing your concern.

#11 trampus

trampus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

Brian,  have cleaned up and reset User Account Control to where it was before.  Problem seems to have gone now.  Thanks again. 

#12 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:12 AM

As I suspected after whatever "evil thing" was triggering UAC was contained or eliminated.   As much a pain as UAC can seem to be sometimes it really can and does alert you when somebody's trying to slip something on to your system without your knowledge or consent.  It's worth its weight in gold just for that alone.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#13 trampus

trampus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:19 PM

I fully accept your wisdom and experience ... and thanks again Brian.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users