Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:04 PM

How long should back up be saved. Should all backups be remove except the most resent?

Edited by Layback Bear, 17 September 2006 - 02:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:00 PM

hi, Layback Bear,

depends what you are backing up, i suppose. my data is always changing, so i make regular backups weekly, so i generally overwrite backups over a month old. if you are backing up data that wont change over time, then makes sense to delete the older stuff to save space.

always good to have a backup in reserve, tho, incase of corruption, if you have the space available!

cheers

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:25 PM

While you do not "Need" more than one good backup it's always a good idea to have more than one in case there is something wrong with the most recent one.

There are programs which will automate incremental backups which work well if you back-up to a second hard drive or external usb drive.
(Incremental backups just add or change data that has been added or changed)

One such program is Dantz Retrospect, and there are others. Some external drives come with software for this purpose or you can buy it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users