Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't boot after fan cleaning/ thermal paste replacement

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tylerbond42

tylerbond42

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:29 AM

Hi everybody,

My 4-year-old HP envy laptop (dv6-7245) was frequently crashing due to overheating, so I decided to clean the fan and apply new thermal paste.

I fully disassembled the laptop to access the fan, from which I removed a thick layer of dust. Then I removed the old thermal paste from the CPU heat sink with alcohol and replaced it with new paste.
When reassembled, I connected to the ac adapter and tried to turn it on.

The laptop makes its usual startup noises (fan whirring, hard drive spinning) but the screen is black. Caps lock button is blinking continuously. Tried to reseat RAM and remove static electricity, and disassembled/reassembled 3x more to make sure everything is in its place. Also tried connecting to external display, and same result. Don't know what to do now-- this sounds like one for a tech expert. Any suggestions?

Thanks for helping,

-Tyler

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 595 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:41 PM

your capslock is a diagnostic code.    how many times does it flash before you get a pause in between then it will repeat the code?

let us know so we can help.

#3 tylerbond42

tylerbond42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:33 AM

There is no pause, unfortunately. It blinks at 2 second intervals infinitely

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 595 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:23 AM

Caps Lock/Num Lock LED    Component Tested             Error Condition
LEDs blink 1 time                       CPU                               CPU not functional
LEDs blink 2 times                      BIOS                             BIOS corruption failure
LEDs blink 3 times                      Memory                         Module error not functional
LEDs blink 4 times                      Graphics                       Graphics controller not functional
LEDs blink 5 times                      System board                General system board failure
LEDs blink 6 times                       BIOS                             BIOS authentication failure

so 1 blink is a cpu problem.

if you can pull the cpu then do it and re-seat it in it's socket then re apply thermal paste and make sure you didn't put to much thermal paste on it. pea sized amount is all you need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users