Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with computer.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Saphire01

Saphire01

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:39 PM

I have my Toshiba laptop for almost 3 years now.
2 weeks ago, I reinstalled Windows 10 for a fresh restart.
Yesterday, I downloaded Malwarebytes to scan my computer, It found some errors and viruses that I never thought of.
After correcting and putting the virus in quarantine, I was asked to restart my computer which I did.
The computer was abnormally slow, after the blue windows 10 screen, it took about 15-20 minutes before the welcome screen, Then 15 more minutes before the login screen, after I put my password it took at least 30-45 minutes to load the start screen. I couldn't open anything, when I pressed the home button the computer froze.
I then tried to reinstall windows again. Unfortunately it says "Windows cannot be installed on this disk, the disk may fail soon"
I tried a system restore, it failed saying that something about windows/app
I tried chkdsk C: /f /r /x which failed after taking the whole night.
I don't know what to do at this point I have important data on my hard drive, and I don't want to buy a new hard drive either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheComputerGuru

TheComputerGuru

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:56 PM

after analyzing all the steps you have taken and gone thru it looks like your gonna have a failing hard drive . suggestion is to back up all data from failing HDD ,by installing a new HDD and reinstalling windows 10 there once installled you can reinstall failing HDD and retrieve data from failing HDD.

#3 Saphire01

Saphire01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:16 PM

Alright, Im never downloading Malawarebytes again, what has it done to my computer ?
Im not in position to buy a new hard drive right now. I'll try formating my laptop, If it still not working, I wont have another choice but buying a new drive.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,598 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:47 AM

Alright, Im never downloading Malawarebytes again, what has it done to my computer ?
Im not in position to buy a new hard drive right now. I'll try formating my laptop, If it still not working, I wont have another choice but buying a new drive.

1. Millions of people (including me) use Malwarebytes with no problems.

2. You have no choice, you have to buy a new hard drive ASAP. There is no option to that.

Remember, this is your data,

back up

back up

back up

If you do not have at least two back ups to your data, then you do not care if you lose your data.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:32 AM

Taking backup another step forward...  You need to backup your important data on removable media, such as a secondary ssd/hdd, flash drive, DVDs, cloud, etc.

You should not use this computer for anything except backing up your data.  The hdd could die at any time.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Saphire01

Saphire01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:54 PM

Ok now how do I know the right hard drive to buy ?
I dont want to call Toshiba since I heard they're expensive. I'm on budget, and this was something never expected.

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,598 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:02 PM

Ok now how do I know the right hard drive to buy ?
I dont want to call Toshiba since I heard they're expensive. I'm on budget, and this was something never expected.

There are slews of different models, post your exact specs and we can help you narrow it down to a dozen or so.

https://www.newegg.com/Internal-SSDs/SubCategory/ID-636?Tid=11693

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:02 PM

I don't know what you budget is, but the link below will take you to a online computer products store.

Laptop Hard Drives, Notebook Hard Drives - Newegg.com

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:40 PM

Personally, I do not think that there is a problem with your hard disk if it is a HDD, but I do not think MB is the recommended software since version 3.1. 
Most likely is just this the reason of problem.
But if You have SSD, then You may need new, because chkdsk may damage SSD permanently. It is tool for HDD, but not for SSD.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:00 PM

Running chkdsk /f shouldn't cause any problems because it is looking for errors on the filesystem level, not on the physical media itself.  Running chkdsk /r is another story.  chkdsk /r can cause an appreciable amount of wear and tear.

#11 Saphire01

Saphire01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:04 PM

My computer was working fine, Fast and reliable. I successfully installed ubuntu.
Now I dont know if I can still go back to Windows ? I need it for my studies.

#12 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:16 PM

My computer was working fine, Fast and reliable. I successfully installed ubuntu.
Now I dont know if I can still go back to Windows ? I need it for my studies.

You can use both on the same computer if there is enough space and you want both of them, but my personal recommendation is only one.
If you need Windows, then put it - the current Windows works great. But of course, You must know something, to know only on-off button and network wire is not enough.
Minimum is to know how to use and how to care.

#13 Saphire01

Saphire01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:21 PM

I wanted Windows but the thing I cant install windows on my computer, it says the disk may fail soon.

#14 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:07 PM

Would like to see this message and find out who or what is this, who says it?
If it is true that the drive not older than 3 years and has been worked always under normal conditions, then why should fail soon. Also is interesting to know, when is the soon. Everything fails or ends soon, even the human life.
So how You know, that this disk fails soon?  Is there so many damaged sectors or what says it.

And finally, as long as Linux works, works also Windows - the disk is the same for both.

#15 Saphire01

Saphire01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:11 PM

I have no clues, when I try installing Windows it says Windows cannot be installed on this disk, the disk may fail soon.
It's weird that it suddently happened when my hard drive has been working fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users