Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My ASUS laptop makes me want to murder people

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 moulton8

moulton8

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:16 PM

Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but the ASUS I bought less than a year ago has given me nothing but grief for quite some time now.

This is the one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011KFQASE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In a nutshell, it is slow as hell, regularly crashes, and the disk space is usually in the 90-100% use range.  I tried everything I have found on the internet that I feel capable of doing:

- Ran virus scans

- Defragged

- Used windows app that cleans C drive

- Stopped processes I wasn't using 

- Uninstalled unneeded programs/bloatware... at least the ones I could identify as such. I'm sure I could uninstall more of them, but I'd have no idea what I was doing... knowing me, I'd probably uninstall the important stuff.

Given my maxing out of disk space, it would seem I need to upgrade my HDD or spring for an SSD, right?  But here's the thing: I haven't even used the laptop very often, I've only downloaded a few pieces of software, and I have only a handful of MB of docs stored on my C drive.  I don't know how it's possible to max out my disk considering all that.  I have hesitated to buy upgrade hardware because I have no idea if it would help.

I've basically exhausted all resources I have with regard to searching the web for solutions.  Seems I'm not the only one to have these issues with ASUS PCs, but any resolutions reported by others have done nothing for me (e.g., virus scans, defragging, etc.).  These problems have cost me hours of work--time I was supposed to be spending doing ACTUAL WORK.  I'm at my wit's end and half tempted to just throw the damn thing in the trash and use my 8-year-old Dell for the time being, which has never given me problems. I'm using it right now because it's the only halfway-decent computer I have.

I ordered the ASUS on 22 September 2016, so I think it's still under warranty, but i assume this problem is software/program related and would therefore not qualify for warranty service.  Is that correct?

Assuming yes, what should I do? Does anyone have other ideas?  

If not, any recommendations for the best way to throw money at the problem?  I'm a die-hard DIY enthusiast, but enough is enough with this thing.  I'm already more than a few hundo invested in the thing; I'm willing to purchase whatever product or service will fix this problem assuming said product/service exists and is justified given the value of the PC itself.

Thanks!

I ordered the ASUS on 22 September 2016, so I think it's still under warranty, but i assume this problem is software/program related and would therefore not qualify for warranty service.  Is that correct?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:38 PM

Your laptop is actually not that slow, which means that there is definitely something wrong with it. You've tried a lot of things that have proven to be futile, so I am not going to give you any more tips on speeding up your laptop. How do you feel about doing a clean re-install of your Windows 10? I suggest doing that and if it doesn't help, then it's definitely a hardware problem, for which you can bring the laptop for a free warranty repair or return it and get another one with the money. Good luck! :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 06 September 2017 - 08:39 PM.

#3 moulton8

moulton8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:29 PM

Your laptop is actually not that slow, which means that there is definitely something wrong with it. You've tried a lot of things that have proven to be futile, so I am not going to give you any more tips on speeding up your laptop. How do you feel about doing a clean re-install of your Windows 10? I suggest doing that and if it doesn't help, then it's definitely a hardware problem, for which you can bring the laptop for a free warranty repair or return it and get another one with the money. Good luck! :)

Thanks, man.  I appreciate that, and I'll do it. Will a clean install of Windows uninstall the software and delete the files I have on it?  

Forgot to mention before (in case it's relevant), Some of the stuff I've tried before improved performance for a day or two, but the problems always returned.  I'll try the reinstall and see what happens.

Edited by moulton8, 06 September 2017 - 09:32 PM.

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:34 PM

Yes, but you can back them up to an external source before that if you want. You can also just do a reset of Windows 10, which would keep all your files in place, but I don't suggest that, as then if the issue keeps reoccurring, as I suspect it will, you'd still have to do a completely clean re-install of Windows 10, not just a reset, and would have just wasted your time. If I were you, I'd get the files that I wanted to save either to an external USB flash drive or to the Internet (Dropbox, for example). By the way, just to be sure, run an anti-virus check just on the files and folders that you'd wish to keep before backing them up. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 06 September 2017 - 09:35 PM.

#5 moulton8

moulton8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:57 PM

Yes, but you can back them up to an external source before that if you want. You can also just do a reset of Windows 10, which would keep all your files in place, but I don't suggest that, as then if the issue keeps reoccurring, as I suspect it will, you'd still have to do a completely clean re-install of Windows 10, not just a reset, and would have just wasted your time. If I were you, I'd get the files that I wanted to save either to an external USB flash drive or to the Internet (Dropbox, for example). By the way, just to be sure, run an anti-virus check just on the files and folders that you'd wish to keep before backing them up. :)

Got it!  Thanks!

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:14 PM

"and the disk space is usually in the 90-100% use range"

If you mean that disk usage in task manager is at 90-100% on a constant basis that's an entirely different thing than actually having 90+ percent of the actual storage capacity of your disk drive taken up.  Not that either is great (though spikes in disk usage are perfectly normal - but constant 90-100% without relenting is not) but if you only have 10% of your disk's storage capacity left that's not enough breathing room for any version of Windows.

If you are going to do a reinstallation of Windows 10 definitely get the latest version from the Microsoft Windows 10 Download Page  and use that as your install media.  If you have any driver issues afterward, which is becoming much less common than it used to be, then go to the ASUS support site on the page for your machine and download any drivers for misbehaving items and install those.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:35 PM

Yeah hardware wise I see nothing to indicate its a bad machine, however a few things you can do to boost her without going to a SSD:

Defrag it (you did this so good job!)

Clean it free of dust and debris

Make sure its getting good airflow and is keeping cool (an issue with laptops is overheating, its common in the form factor)

Reinstall windows and backup your data

Though once you are out of Asus's warranty you may want to try linux sometime if you dont game on your machine.

Edited by MadmanRB, 07 September 2017 - 08:37 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#8 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 886 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:21 PM

Have you tried running malware/adware removal software, antivirus alone won't detect malware/adware like JRT (junkware removal tool), ADWcleaner & Malwarebytes.

you could be infected with malware some types will create files and fill your hhd up and others will turn your computer into an ad server or even a bitcoin miner.  these are very common problems.

I suggest you run the 3 programs i suggested, all available from this website in the download section.  then report back to us your results.

#9 moulton8

moulton8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:12 PM

Thanks a lot, guys.  I've certainly learned a lot here.

I hadn't yet gone forward with the clean/reinstall Windows, so I went ahead and ran the three software, as advised.  Here are my results:

MalwareBytes: 83 files quarantined

ADW: 5 files quarantined

JRT: nothing

I'm no computer whiz, but I'm guessing that's a lot.  Haha.  I'll give it a few days and check back with an update.

Thanks again!

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:28 PM

I suggest you start a new topic in the Am I Infected forum.  The personnel there can advise you on your possible malware situation.

I would go simple and concise on the narrrative ("Am I Infected?" and also link to this topic as the reason for your inquiry.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 09 September 2017 - 08:32 PM.

#11 moulton8

moulton8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:09 AM

I suggest you start a new topic in the Am I Infected forum.  The personnel there can advise you on your possible malware situation.

I would go simple and concise on the narrrative ("Am I Infected?" and also link to this topic as the reason for your inquiry.

Louis

Thanks, Louis.  Will do :thumbup2:

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:00 PM

OP opened AII topic:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/656803/am-i-infected-or-is-it-just-a-rash/ .

To prevent possible confusion, this Internal Hardware topic is now closed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users