Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS Hijack? Internet connection is bonkers.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Oblianthe

Oblianthe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:24 PM

Hello. For about two weeks, using a web browser on my Windows 10 Home PC has been nearly impossible. As soon as I launch the browser, the internet radio icon gets that asterisk, then changes to that TV thing. When I click on it, sometimes there are NO available networks! Other times, my home network is there along with all the neighbors'. It's very specific, too. It happens when I click on a new video on Youtube, or when I click a link on Google. The internet connection drops out.

So I went into the Event Viewer and found a few non-critical problems. Solved them. Still have the same drop-out problem. So I do the DNS flush and the whole rigamarole you learn. Then I even did a Network Reset. Still having the same problem. Whenever I access the internet, and it doesn't have to be a web browser, it can be iTunes - the internet chooses to drop out. Eventually it will let me back in. But then randomly cut out.

[Edit] The latest error in Event Viewer is DNS Client Events EVENT ID 1014 "Name resolution for the name *application-address* timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded."

The three applications that come up most are WPAD, Dropbox and redirector.gvt1.com.[/Edit]

I have BitDefender Internet Edition and Malwarebytes Premium. I've run scans with both of them. I came up with some PUPs, but no viruses. I ran the anti-rootkit with Bitdefender and Malwarebytes. Anything beyond that, I'm not really familiar with. I've had viruses in the past and followed the advice on Bleepingcomputer to get of them myself. But this is something different. I can't pin it down. It's really insidious.

It's really very frustrating, as I get most of my entertainment on my devices. I have a 32" screen, so my evening time on Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime - I look forward to that on my time off. Please help me out.

Edited by Oblianthe, 07 September 2017 - 04:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users