Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best AIO color laser(?) printer in 2017?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aznphatb0i

aznphatb0i

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:22 PM

Replacing a WF-7520 with CIS at the office. The ink waste pad is EOL. I know about solutions like Printer Potty, but the WF-7520 also requires clean print head function to be run quite frequently which is very annoying - so would like to buy a good long term replacement.

Budget: | $250, framed by the MF634Cdw -- but could do higher if necessary and cheaper is always better
Color or black and white: | Color
Laser or ink printer: | Laser (assuming this is lowest cost per page)
New or used: | Either
Multi-function: | Yes: Scan/Copy
Duplex Printing: | Preferred, not mission critical
Home or business: | Business
Printing content: | Primarily standard 8x11 business documents, ability to print the occasional flyer / fancy a plus
Printing frequency: | Variable, WF-7520 reached EOL with ink waste pad in 5 years
Pages per minute : | Don't care
Page size: | Letter. Ability to match WF-7520's paper capabilities a plus.
Device printing from: | PC, MAC
Connection type: | WiFi, Ethernet

Additional details:

The WF-7520 has worked well, except for the fact that the printhead cleaning function periodically needs to be run 5+ times in a row manually to fix bad quality printing and the waste ink pad expiring is a pain that I don't want to deal with again.

Need a network printer that 'just works' in printing basic color documents at the lowest cost with scanning/copy function. Should not require frequent hands on maintainence like swapping ink/toner or running printhead clean cycles. The ability to match the variable paper types that the WF-7520 does is a bonus.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aznphatb0i

aznphatb0i
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:30 PM

Settled on the SL-C3060FW for $299 total, if there's something better your comments are appreciated

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:23 PM

Looks a solid machine, Amazon are selling it for much more than $300. Note it appears to come with "starter" toner cartridges (1200 page colour, 2500 black) and is said to be expensive to run if using the standard yield genuine toners.  The XL size are more cost effective.  As per usual, a set of toners will cost you more than the printer.

For lowest cost per page, the Epson Ecotanks like the ET-3600 are difficult to beat. They are supplied with masses of ink (15000 pages worth, IIRC) which somewhat offsets the high price.  I don't think it's as fast printing as the Samsung though, or designed for such high volume printing, and no document feeder for the scanner.

Edited by jonuk76, 06 September 2017 - 11:27 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:43 AM

Review of the Samsung, Sep 2016

Somewhat surprised that a year-old printer is currently listed by some at close to same price a year ago, Amazon typically goes the other way.

Another Review

Louis

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:09 AM

Interesting, when I looked prior to writing the post above, Amazon were selling these for about $570.  In the meantime they've dropped it to $350.  It's almost like they knew someone said they were expensive and dropped the price straight away :hysterical:   Goes to show, it's always worth shopping around :)

Not making it up:

IiVGqZy.jpg

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users