Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Verizon router

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 vargint

vargint

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:59 PM

is it necessary to use the verizon router?

"If you already have one of the models listed, let us know which one by selecting the router model and then confirm below to continue. Otherwise, you’ll need to rent or buy a router to complete your order.

Actiontec MI424WR Rev. 1
Verizon Fios Quantum Gateway, Model G1100

By checking this box, I am confirming that I have the above router model and a router will not be added to my online order. If the technician determines that the router onsite is not compatible with my Fios service, I will need to rent or purchase one when the technician is installing my service."

Does that mean that they only allow one to use the above two routers with their internet?  And their tech may not be willing to do the work if I don't have one of those two?  Shouldn't I be able to use just any router?  

"If you already have one of the models listed, let us know which one by selecting the router model and then confirm below to continue. Otherwise, you’ll need to rent or buy a router to c

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:22 PM

You should certainly be able to use any Verizon FIOS compatible modem-router.  That being said, there aren't all that many of those.

Also, depending on what speeds a FIOS compatible router may be capable of on the wireless side this may be a part of why a specific router is required.  If they're promising you throughput that the wireless protocol the modem-router uses can't support that would not be their fault, but you can be sure that some would be ranting at Verizon because of that.

I've got plenty of things I would love to rant at Verizon about, for the record.  Their DSL service, once rock-solid and reasonably priced, has become flaky and far too expensive for a mature technology in the area where I live.  I expect costs for wired connectivity to be decreasing and reliability to be increasing and the reverse has been the trend for a while now with Verizon high-speed internet provided via DSL.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users