Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help choosing a new computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cheryll207

cheryll207

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:33 PM

I need a new computer for work. I can't decide between a laptop or desktop. I do not travel with a computer, so it's main function will be sitting on a desk. The computer must be powerful enough to run several webpages simultaneously and/or spreadsheets. I utilize G Suite for business, analytics, Webinars, video conferencing. Storage of files is mainly on the server or G Suite. I do not have good experience with HP. For my home use I currently have a Lenovo Thinkpad E560 which I like very much. Building is out of the question for me. Your experience is very much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:58 PM

Seems like you don't have high demands. If I were you, I'd just walk into a tech shop and tell them to give me the cheapest laptop which has an Intel Core-i7 processor, 8GB RAM, Full HD camera and is not an HP. Depending on where you live, it should cost between $500 and $1000 at most and will comfortably run all the things that you want for at least 5 years. Good luck, mate!:)

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:25 PM

If you don't need portability go with a desktop, you'll get more machine for your money.

You don't say how much you're willing to spend.  If you go with a desktop you will also need to purchase a monitor, or if you're using an external monitor with your current machine you can move it over to the new machine.

You don't mention what your issues were with HP.  If you stick with their business lines (EliteBook or EliteDesk) you shouldn't have much issue as they are build to last and come with three year on site support. Any of the 8GB Desktop Minis would be a good solution.  The Dell OptiPlex Micros are their versions of similar machines with the same three year support.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:09 PM

If not moving around then a desktop will be best.

Just state your budget and we can point you in a direction.

But if you are running like a server workstation PC well that can be done too, but it really depends on your needs

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users