Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No boot device found, data is accessible

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nate613

nate613

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:02 PM

I'm running a Dell Inspiron 5558, originally a Windows 8, upgraded to Windows 10. While in use, the machine randomly crashed giving a message similar to "No boot device found". On restart, the machine gives an error "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable" and "PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM. No boot device found. Press any key to reboot the machine". By booting to a Ubuntu live usb, I was able to mount the drive, albeit only as a read-only. It had originally thrown an exit error 14 and suggested the read-only. I've been looking into different solutions, but I'm currently lost as to where to go next.

Additionally, I already backed up the partition with clonezilla, but I was wondering if it would be better to clone the whole drive.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:33 PM

PXE boot is a network boot, hence the check cable error.  Might go into the BIOS and check your boot order and see if the drive is recognized there.

Pretty good chance the drive is on the way out.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:02 PM

If you were able to mount the drive using Ubuntu open Ubuntu's Dash, the top icon on the launcher and type Disks. There should be the drive's smart status on the Disks main window. This is not a full diagnostic but it would give a clue on the drive's health. On Windows 10 computers the drive uses a hibernation file and that causes Ubuntu to be read only. If you were able to mount the drive as read only you should have been able to copy over your data onto an external without doing a clone.

W3BgU.png

#4 nate613

nate613
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:21 PM

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Kilroy: In the BIOS, the drive is listed as the primary hard drive, although I'm pretty sure that when this issue first started, it wasn't there; even then, though, I was able to find it in the diagnostics section.

JohnC_21: Oddly enough, when I opened Ubuntu this time, the drive mounted automatically. The drive is listed as being 'OK' which from a quick search seems that ideally it should be 'Healthy'. The different tests were mostly listed as 'old-age', but 3 of them said 'pre-fail'. 

I don't mind replacing the drive, and it seems I can definitely salvage the data, but I'm just curious if there's anything I can try to get it started so I can get a clean clone to a replacement drive. It would be very annoying to have to set up a fresh windows installation (although there could definitely be some benefits to that as well). Any ideas?

Thanks again.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:39 AM

It could be due to a broken BCD. I believe you have a GPT disk as this was originally a Windows 8 computer. 

You need the Windows 10 install disk. Verify you have an EFI partition first. It would be formatted FAT32. The guide is for a dell but it works for any GPT disk with a corrupted EFI boot loader.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln300987/how-to-repair-the-efi-bootloader-on-a-gpt-hdd-for-windows-7--8--81-and-10-on-your-dell-pc?lang=en

another good guide

http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2013/12/how-to-repair-the-efi-bootloader-in-windows-8/

#6 nate613

nate613
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:47 PM

I couldn't find anything useful in the first link, but the second suggested Easy Recovery Essentials. I got that and booted into it but it said there was no windows installation on the drive. Funny enough, though, on a restart, I checked what was available to boot from, and under the heading of UEFI Boot, there was a drive I didn't recognize. It started with WDC though, and my internal drive is a WD so I tried to start it. It started up windows with the updating screen, and in middle it tried restarting. It first booted to my connected flash drive, but on restart I did the same process and it finished updating and booted to my regular home screen. What's my best course of action right now?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:53 PM

I did the same process and it finished updating and booted to my regular home screen. 

So you can now boot into Windows normally?

#8 nate613

nate613
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:50 PM

I am currently booted in normally, but I'm not sure what would happen if I shutdown the machine. I'm assuming it would boot but only manually through the boot menu. Otherwise, I was getting a 'no boot device found' message.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:06 PM

I can't say. You could try doing a startup repair with the Windows 10 install disk. It may take up to three attempts to complete the repair.

Open an elevated command prompt and type

bcdedit /enum all

This will show the contents of the BCD if it has been repaired. The second link I posted shows how to rebuild the BCD on a EFI/GPT disk. You may need to go through those steps using a Windows 10 boot disk if the Startup Repair of Windows 10 does not work.

#10 nate613

nate613
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:24 PM

I was able to boot into the Windows Recovery Environment without the install disk, but it said it couldn't fix anything. I'm not sure if that means that it found a problem it couldn't fix or that it didn't find anything. Either way, on a whim I checked my BIOS settings and noticed that it was set to boot Legacy and not UEFI; I switched it and now it appears to be working fine. I don't recall changing that, but I can't say that I didn't manually at some point. Is there anything in particular I should be doing, given the message I got from the Recovery Environment? 

Also, I ran bcdedit before and after; the only difference between them was that under windows boot loader {current}, the displaymessageoverride property changed from "Recovery" to "StartupRepair".

Thanks

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:52 AM

Nice Troubleshooting. Changing from UEFI to Legacy would definitely cause the boot issue. Not sure how it was changed though. Thanks for the update. I will have to remember this. 

If you mean the PXE error then I would backup up any important data first and then do a complete disk diagnostic with Seatools for Windows. Do the short and long tests. 

Seatools for Windows

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 September 2017 - 07:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users