Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D: drive has vanished

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jascat

jascat

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:32 PM

I don't know where I am supposed to post this but was recommended here from a different forum so am moving it over and trying again, I am really worried about this and rather panicky, I have an HP Envy Laptop with a hybrid drive, my C: drive is smaller and used to boot up fast and so I don't keep as much of my information on it, the D: drive that has always been there and much larger is where I started storing all my files, I was looking through a folder a little bit ago on my D: drive and for some reason it froze up, wasn't a big deal and I didn't think anything of it, clicked on it and a box popped up saying it wasn't responding and asking me if I wanted to end the task, so of course I told it yes, it closed out, I went to open it back up, and now my entire D: drive with all my files and data is completely gone and not showing up at all, It is not an old laptop so I don't believe the hard drive would be failing and everything else works fine if a little slower now.

I have: restarted, started in safe mode, checked for the drive in Disk Management (there are 3 Partitions "Disk 0 Partition" 1, 2, 5, and then my C: drive, 1, 2, and 5 all say 100% of them is free and there is nothing on them and I am unable to rename them and when I right click on them the only option is "help" which opens a web page about partitions, I tried a couple Partition recovery programs (random ones from googling the problem) and none of them were able to find anything but my C: drive

if I try to open a file or folder from my D: drive by selecting frequent ones it tells me "D:\(name of folder) is unavailable. if the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disk is inserted and try again" etc I really need help and have all my important files on there and really need help to get them back...thank you ahead of time for any help you can provide, please let me know if there is any other information I need to attach.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:08 PM

Is this an Envy 17 as this is the only one I could find with dual drives.

Open a command prompt. Type 

diskpart

list disk

Is there a disk 0 and disk 1 listed?

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:37 PM

If the HD in question has a physical failure in the making, running DIY-bunches of partition and/or data recovery programs on it can make things worse.  Follow JohnC's important advice and report back.  If the HD comes back to life, please immediately backup your data folders and files onto external media.  And, if you decide to clone the HD onto another, external, HD, do only a one-time one-pass sector-by-sector operation.

Edited by RolandJS, 06 September 2017 - 05:39 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 jascat

jascat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:16 PM

Is this an Envy 17 as this is the only one I could find with dual drives.

Open a command prompt. Type 

diskpart

list disk

Is there a disk 0 and disk 1 listed?

I believe it is an Envy 15 not 17, and only disk 0 is listed but disk 0 only has 238GB it says, my drive is a Hybrid not dual drives (if I am understanding correctly) I believe and has a 240ish GB SSD part and a (either 650GB or 900GB I am unable to remember now that its gone) HDD part, since the SSD has such a small amount of storage I had been saving all my files I didn't need a faster speed with on the larger HDD (which was drive D: ) now I am not only unable to access it but I cant even find where I would access the HDD storage at all, its as if my entire laptop only has 240GB of storage and the other section stopped existing with all my data

thank you very much for assisting, I am seriously at a loss

Edited by jascat, 06 September 2017 - 11:39 PM.

#5 jascat

jascat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:25 PM

If the HD in question has a physical failure in the making, running DIY-bunches of partition and/or data recovery programs on it can make things worse.  Follow JohnC's important advice and report back.  If the HD comes back to life, please immediately backup your data folders and files onto external media.  And, if you decide to clone the HD onto another, external, HD, do only a one-time one-pass sector-by-sector operation.

I really hope its not a physical failure, my laptop isn't very old, I stopped trying to run any of the recover programs thankfully (didn't know it could make things worse) though they were never able to find my D: drive anyway, everything is acting like it doesn't exist or isn't plugged in, as if i am searching for a flashdrive after removing it, like I cant recover files as there is nothing there to even run recovery on, the entire chunk of my storage is as if its unplugged and vanished into thin air so I cant scan it, recover it, or find it in anyway (don't know if this helps find the problem but thought it missing rather than damaged might be important information)

thank you very much for your information and help

#6 jascat

jascat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:03 AM

So apparently my Recovery (E:) drive was gone as well I was just so worried about the Data (D:) drive that I didnt even notice it but! I am happy to report that all my drives are back now!!! but I am unhappy to report I don't know why or how or why they were gone in the first place.  First off when this all happened I did try restarting, starting in safe mode, shutting it down, and so on, none of these worked, but after coming home from work today I shut my computer down again (mostly because I was frustrated with it) and left it off for a while before coming back to it, upon turning it back on everything is back and working fine with no issues at all (I immediately backed everything up just in case as well).

So I don't know what happened and why its back but thats the last time I "end task" on an open folder...thank you all so much for your help! (I will be backing things up more in the future....)

Edit: P.S sorry I am new to the forum and do I need to mark this post as solved or completed somehow? I don't know if it needs to be closed out and don't want to cause problems on a site that has been so helpful and actually polite when I say I messed something up :P 

Edited by jascat, 07 September 2017 - 02:05 AM.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:53 AM

I am new to the forum and do I need to mark this post as solved or completed somehow?

No, having posted back to explain how it was resolved is fine! Topics are not normally closed, in case anything relevant needs to be added in the future.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:44 AM

Glad you data is back but I would back up any of your valuable data to an external USB drive at the first opportunity as RolandJS posted. I would also do a complete disk image to the external drive using imaging software. A number of free ones are available and be sure to also create the bootable media each offers.

Macrium Free

Aomei Backupper Standard

Easeus Todo Backup Free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users