Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-Connecting a PC to Internet after 3 Years... Will MS Updates Work?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 obrienimages

obrienimages

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:33 AM

I have a PC running Windows 7 Professional that has not been connected to the internet for 3 years.  I'd like to re-connect it and get the Microsoft updates installed properly.  I'm concerned as to whether the update process will work after all that time.  Can anyone recommend how to do this?

Also... what would be the best way to back up just in case it goes wrong? A restore point, or something like a clone of the system?  

Thanks in advance for any positive input...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:40 AM

It's a good idea to create a new restore point before downloading anything.  This can save you time and energy if you decide that the download was a mistake.

As for the updates...

Start Windows Internet Explorer.

On the Tools menu click Windows Update.

Click on Microsoft Update.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 obrienimages

obrienimages
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:41 PM

If the update process goes wrong and negatively effects other programs will a restore point put everything back to where it was?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:46 PM

If you created a new restore point prior to the download you should be able to revert back to that point.  This is assuming you don't have any preexisting problems.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users