Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need some help with my setup!!!!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mel_bel

mel_bel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:45 AM

So i've recently been looking into buying a desktop for mostly video editing, graphic design, and gaming my budget was $2,500 - 3,000. I got a lis made up but it's a lot more expensive than what i'd like. Do you think you could help me with finding cheaper parts to lower the price without lowering the power of the machine? Thanx :)

Edited by hamluis, 06 September 2017 - 12:45 PM.
Moved from Buying New to Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:58 AM

Where's that list?

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:27 PM

Have you checked out the desktops in the retail stores similar to Fry's Electronics, Altex Electronics, Best Buy, Costco, Sam's Club, just to name a few of many?  That will give you an idea what is available at what price.  And, if/when you begin shopping online, you probably will have an easier time visualizing the online offerings.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#4 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:28 PM

Even $1500 goes a long way these days....

Editors/content creators/encoding, and some gaming... the R7/1700 and 1700X are attractively priced. Gaming-wise, this can add considerable expense depending on the desired refresh rate/resolution/monitor... (the 6 core 8700K will be out in a couple weeks, we will have to see how it does, but, I expect it would need to be overclocked to match the 1700/1700X in multithreaded applications...)

Normal 1080P res/60 Hz monitors give pretty stunning results with even a mid-range GTX1060 GPUs without breaking the bank. If you yearn for 144 Hz refresh rates at 1440P, bring your wallet to the tune of $750 for a 1080Ti...*just for the GPU*..(exactly why I settled for the 1060!)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:32 AM

Even $1500 goes a long way these days....

Sure does, and that's counting my (then) 512GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe SSD & EVGA GTX 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 GPU. :)

Already had the Intel 4790K in another PC, so didn't count that towards the build, was purchased to upgrade my XPS 8700, although would revert back to the OEM supplied i7-4770, not a shabby CPU by any means, although a locked model that prevents any overclock. 

While I initially started with 32GB of GSkill Aegis DDR3-1600MHz RAM, would later find their TridentX (2400MHz) RAM on promo for $109 per 16GB set, purchased a total of four to max out my first two Z97 builds. Not that the original was a waste, were used to upgrade other builds. I throw nothing of value out, organize spare components to be reused later. Although am considering getting rid of a couple of very old MB's, and will likely give my DDR RAM to one in need, as long as they're in the US. My SATA-1 & especially SATA-2 HDD's are now backup models, some in enclosures, smaller models used in a docking station & stored after cooling in Tupperware containers. The only 'bad' HDD is a dead one, even a couple of 80-120GB ones are used, one in a PC as the Linux Mint /home drive. :)

So $1,500 can go a long way, especially if one has some components to reuse, such as HDD's for data, as well as optical drives & other usable internally installed components. Not that I'm pushing the brand in the least, AMD Ryzen CPU's & MB's has dropped in price by a huge margin since released, although their latest GPU's are still priced quite high, as for now, no competition for 2048 bit bus models. I once thought my GTX 1070 FTW edition was a powerhouse, yet a 256 bit bus card cannot compete with a 2048 one, had wondered why most all of the 512 bit options disappeared, maybe for power savings. At any rate, here's the build I performed in the $1,500 range, also shown in my sig below. 

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/NjsgihLlHYqFtSZ6Oqw23I8

And that was in 2015, my only regret was not going with the only $50 more i7-5820K, almost twice the CPU's cache, and 28 lanes rather than 16, so that I wouldn't have had to use one of my GPU slots for the Samsung 950 PRO NVMe SSD, could had used a native x4 slot w/out affecting graphics (although there wasn't a huge performance hit, link below show it). Plus could had overclocked the 6 core & soldered on IHS (rather than bonded with glue & cheap thermal paste) to i7-4790K specs & beyond. :)

One point away from being total UFO across the board, even with the GPU running at x8 & was held back only by processes I couldn't find. :thumbsup:

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/5038266

In summary, you can build an awesome $1,500 PC, sign up on Newegg for promo codes, note that by Forum rules, we cannot post any here & would be no good anyway unless an existing subscriber. Compare other sites also, saving $15 here & $25-30 there can add up to enough for a nice keyboard.mouse set, or maybe a SSD. Note that there's also great deals to be found on eBay, just make sure to check Seller feedback & how long has been a member. Those with tens of thousands of reviews are power Sellers & wants to keep their negative feedback to a minimum. Many sells brand new components, even Newegg also has an eBay store. 

Good Luck & hope to see your killer PC soon, am currently saving for my next, although won't be Intel unless they return to soldering the IHS to the chip, this makes for a 15-20C drop in temps. Plus unlike previous gens (Sandy Bridge & older) as well as AMD CPU's, one cannot stash these in a closet for 5-7+ years & install, the TIM may be long dried out & no longer fit for use until re-pasted, usage may cause the CPU to go into a one-time thermal runaway. These are things to consider when choosing components, had I known that Haswell/Ivy Bridge CPU were manufactured like this, would had surely went with the soldered together 6 core i7-5820K. I made the mistake of listening to another member here who I'll not call by name, who stated that having onboard graphics would better than none.

Needless to say, will trust my own instinct next time! :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:16 PM

So $1,500 can go a long way, especially if one has some components to reuse, such as HDD's for data, as well as optical drives & other usable internally installed components. Not that I'm pushing the brand in the least, AMD Ryzen CPU's & MB's has dropped in price by a huge margin since released, although their latest GPU's are still priced quite high, as for now, no competition for 2048 bit bus models. I once thought my GTX 1070 FTW edition was a powerhouse, yet a 256 bit bus card cannot compete with a 2048 one, had wondered why most all of the 512 bit options disappeared, maybe for power savings. At any rate, here's the build I performed in the $1,500 range, also shown in my sig below.

You cannot directly compare HBM2 (2048 bit bus, slow clock speed) and GDDR5(X) (256/384/... bit bus, high clock speed). 512 bit models disappeared as 1. no need because features (like texture compression, tile based rendering) etc has improved and cards now have massive caches 2. 512 bit memory bus is expensive to manufacture.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,986 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:24 AM

Drillingmachine, thanks for the explanation! :)

I figured there was a valid reason why the 512 bit cards disappeared, was considering a 384 bit one for my XPS 8700 in late 2013, a Radeon 7970 GHz edition, although had two issues. Not enough PSU (the compact EVGA B3 & G3 series didn't exist then) & space also a factor, the card would had likely been too long. Even the 2GB GDDR5 GTX 960 I later installed was a knuckle scraper, so imagine even if the 7970 were to fit, would had required some case modding. :)

At any rate, am happy, it's now running a 6GB GDDR5 EVGA GTX 1060 SSC + ACX 3.0 cooling, powered by a EVGA G3 550W PSU, a compact size just like the B3 series (150x150mm), of which I also have two of the B3 units of the same wattage in budget builds. :)

Also, the upgraded GPU may well had been the cause of random freezing, where the screen would freeze in place & the only error shown was the hard shutdown required, has never frozen since replacement, am happy that another MB wasn't needed. 

Back to the OP's question, have built two fairly stout PC's, my main rig was around $1,500, the second best in the $1,300 range, both featuring the only two 'Devil's Canyon' CPU's offered (i7-4790K & i5-4690K). Oddly, can get more performance out of the i5-4690K than it's larger brother, is running at i7-4790K stock values. On the other hand, can't get 4.8GHz out of the 4790K w/out BSOD's, have had to scale back to 4.7GHz on a Noctua NH-D15 cooler. The 4690K is running nearly 1GHz over stock at Turbo values (4.4Ghz) with a base of 4.0GHz, using the ASRock Z97 Extreme UEFI settings for overclocking. Amazing piece of silicon, especially considering no H/T option, I question if it's needed on the 4790K. Maybe I lucked out with the 4690K & the 4790K needs a delid to jump nearly 1GHz above specs. :)

If I had a $2,500-3000 budget to work with in 2015, would had been looking at the then less pricey i7-58xxx 8 core models when plentiful & X99 MB's cost a lot less than today. One of the other benefits being an actual soldered on IHS, rather than bonded together with low cost thermal paste & glue. :thumbsup:

BTW, I bet when NVIDIA counters AMD's HBR2 offering (they will), will be more powerful than the Vega lineup. While AMD is doing well these days, I believe they stand a better chance at competing with Intel's CPU's over NVIDIA's GPU's. Still, competition is good for everyone. we all benefit from lower pricing as a result. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 21 September 2017 - 05:30 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 managel

managel

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:52 AM

Spend most on graphics card.  It's almost always the bottle neck in gaming systems

Edited by managel, 30 September 2017 - 06:53 AM.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,986 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:19 AM

Spend most on graphics card.  It's almost always the bottle neck in gaming systems

+1! :thumbup2:

As long as there's enough CPU (doesn't have to be the best), you're correct. :)

At the moment, am waiting to see how NVIDIA will respond to the Vega line, would be great to have a HBR2 (GDDR6) 2048 bit card installed, if not low performance. Generally NVIDIA has increased performance by 25-30% the last two major releases & the cards uses less power running faster than ever.  :thumbsup:

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users