Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macs causing Netgear R8000 to freeze?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 nelsonjw

nelsonjw

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:55 AM

My Netgear Nighthawk X6 (R8000) has been rock-solid since I bought it - fast speeds, few issues, good stability.

Except when a guest with a Mac shows up - then I am rebooting it a few to several times a day because speeds are slow and even Ethernet devices are unable to access the network.

I know someone else with the same R8000 who, unlike me, is a Mac fan, so he has his own Macs in addition to guests bringing Macs.  He doesn't hate it, but says he never sees the kind of stability I see with my R8000, and if people are over even just for an evening and doing something like a LAN party he has to reboot once or twice during the evening if any guests are using MacBooks.

The symptoms are gradual degradation of the Internet connection even though, for a while, speedtests will not show anything wrong.  For example, streaming devices start buffering more often and finally say they can't play the stream at all, but until it gets that bad a device could still get almost the full provisioned speed on a speedtest.  But eventually no device on the network, not even wired devices, can access anything and even pings to 192.168.1.1 result in 100% packet loss.

Rebooting everything (modem and gateway/router) restores full service, but only for a while.  I have had to reboot within two hours when guests with Macs are over, whereas otherwise I might be able to go a month without rebooting.

As far as the settings on my R8000...

• QoS and WMM both on
  • Separate SSIDs for 2.4 GHz and both channels of 5 GHz
  • 5 GHz smart switching disabled
  • 20/40 compatibility on the 2.4 GHz radio.
  • OpenDNS IPv4
  • Native IPv6 connectivity as provided by my ISP
  • Guest network devices are isolated - cannot access each other

Again, this only happens when someone with a Mac is visiting. Never happens if the network is all Windows and Android devices. Happens with regularity if there's a Mac on the network.

Are there any settings on the R8000 I should make or avoid when someone is on the network using a Mac?

Is there anything that can be done on the Mac side of things?

It's getting frustrating always having the Internet go out when someone brings a MacBook over, but also seems pretty telling that it only happens then -- if no one brings a Mac over, I can go weeks without having to reboot the R8000 or do anything with it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users