Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opera Browser

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lulubelle

lulubelle

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:57 PM

Hi all,
I've just bought a new PC, I installed Opera 9.1 and find that it keeps hanging/freezing. It lasts for a minute or so, then it goes back to normal for a few minutes, then freezes again. I really like Opera, which I had on my last PC, and I am very disappointed that I cannot use it. Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 01:11 PM

Have you tried reinstalling Opera?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 lulubelle

lulubelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:42 PM

Hi buddy215,
Thanks for your reply,
I've just uninstalled and re-installed Opera, but it has not solved the problem. The funny thing is that even though I used CC cleaner to clear any traces of the old programme and I manually deleted any folders that I found, the new opera installed with all my previous settings! Very strange.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,614 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:47 PM

Firefox does the same thing as far as saving your "profile". I never used Opera but I am sure you can find out how to delete your profile folder or whatever Opera calls it in the program help file. Maybe another member who uses Opera will respond to youir problem.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:08 AM

Hi lulubelle. OPERA is my preferred browser too.

You could try clicking on the help tab and checking out the Community and Support pages and try the forums.

Good luck. Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,614 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:37 AM

Copied from here:http://www.opera.com/support/search/supsearch.dml?index=623

Completely removing Opera and its settings from your system

Platform: All Windows versions

Before you proceed with removing Opera, it is important that you know where Opera stores its settings. In Opera, go to Help > About Opera. Under "Paths" in the About Opera page, look for the path to your preferences - the Opera6.ini file. Take note of this path, as it will be needed to completely remove Opera from your system.

1. Uninstalling Opera

To uninstall Opera, open the Control Panel from the Start menu in Windows. In the Control Panel, open "Add or Remove Programs", and locate Opera in the list of installed programs. Click "Remove" to uninstall Opera.

Please note that this will not remove user created files and settings.

2. Removing user created files

In order to completely remove an Opera installation, the following directories must be removed after performing a normal uninstall:

* The folder you installed Opera to.
* The Opera settings folder.

If you chose not to use separate settings for each user when installing Opera, you will only have to remove your Opera installation folder. To find out if this is the case, look at the location of the file Opera6.ini, which you found earlier, and compare it to the path to your main Opera installation folder.

If the location of the Opera6.ini file is different from the location of opera.exe, you are using separate settings for each user, and will have to delete two folders manually.

Before proceeding, you may wish to take a backup of your files in case you wish to install Opera again:

http://www.opera.com/support/search/supsearch.dml?index=313

To remove the remaining files on your system, simply delete the Opera installation folder. If the Opera6.ini is separate for each user (in a different location than opera.exe, make sure you delete the folder where this file can be found as well.

Last edited: 2006-09-07; Category: Install, reinstall, upgrade, backup; Keywords: reinstall,remove,uninstall,upgrade,; Index: 623

#7 lulubelle

lulubelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:19 PM

Hi everyone,
Thank you all very much for your time and effort on my behalf. I thought I'd let you know that the problem turned out to be the McAfee virus scanner. It was set to scan my e-mails and as soon as I turned this option off, everything was OK.
thanks again

#8 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:09 PM

Glad to hear you got that fixed lulubelle.

With all the nasties around via email these days, you really do need a scanner. If you can't fix McAfee, you may have to look for another antivirus. I use Avast which appears to do the job.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#9 lulubelle

lulubelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:31 PM

Hi rowal5555,
I restarted the e-mail scanner, and Opera is still working! Strange eh?
I'm just grateful that all is well. Thanks again for your help

#10 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 01:59 AM

You're most welcome Lulubelle.

Glad it all worked out.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure