Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Hard Drives on same PC

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 cheez

cheez

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:43 AM

I have a iBuyPower BB930i series 504, windows 10 home computer with a very strange set up

It has 2 seperate hard drives. 1 is a solid state 111 GB as my C drive. The second is a regular disk drive 931 GB as my D drive.

I just noticed that everything I have installed or downloaded has gone onto my C drive which is now full. Infact it shows it in red, and my D drive has only 62 GB on it.

I do not understand why the manufacture would put the smallest drive as the C drive.

Could some one please explain how I can correct this, by moving everything to D, or can you some how just change the letters?
Any help will be very appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:58 AM

Your SSD is only for the Windows system files. When you download and install programs you need to do the custom install where possible and select drive D: for the target drive.

You can try removing all temp files from C: to free up some free space using CCleaner.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:02 AM

Indeed, this sort of thing is normal with a SSD as they have limited space compared to platter drives unless you pay $300 or so for a large capacity SSD. Just move your installed files to the larger drive and make sure things install to your D: drive

Edited by MadmanRB, 06 September 2017 - 10:04 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 cheez

cheez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:19 AM

Thank you JohnC 21 and MadmanRB
Unfortunately the temp files doesn't help very much. The drive is still full.
I don't recall having a choice which drive my down loads go to.
Is it possible to use Disk Management to change the letter of the drives, then uninstall all the things I have installed and reinstall on the new C drive?

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:34 AM

I would just uninstall your apps/programs and then when you reinstall them make sure they install to the D drive.

It may even be beneficial to reinstall windows to get a clean start, just keep in mind what ibuypower pre installed like drivers and such.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 cheez

cheez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:57 AM

​Thank you Madman.

I just uninstalled Mozilla Firefox and 2 other apps. I then tried to reinstall, none of them gives me an option for drives to install on.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:03 AM

Well there is a setting in windows too you can play with.

There is a tutorial on how to do this here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/245706/how-to-change-the-default-hard-drive-for-saving-documents-and-apps-in-windows-10/

Edited by MadmanRB, 06 September 2017 - 11:04 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 cheez

cheez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:26 PM

​Just my luck, even that doesn't work.

I followed the instructions and changed everything to D, then I installed Mozilla and it went right into drive C.

I also tried sending a picture from a flash drive to my pictures folder and that went to drive C also.

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:30 PM

Firefox gives option to select drive, you just have to choose right install settings (cannot remember what they exactly were).

Unless you have changed pictures folder to be on drive D:, pictures folder is on default drive C:.

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:56 PM

This might help - how to move libraries (e.g. My Documents, My Videos, My Pictures etc.) to another drive in Windows 10 - https://www.pcworld.com/article/3025345/windows/move-your-windows-10-libraries-to-a-separate-drive-or-partition.html

FWIW, I would suggest keeping frequently used, modestly sized programs like Firefox on your SSD.  They really aren't that large. Big games which may want to install 10's of Gb, you should definitely put on the HDD though.  Typically you have to choose the "Custom" or "Advanced" install, and manually specify the location to install to, rather than accept the default or express install, or whatever they may call it.

There is no advantage to making your 1Tb HDD the "C" drive.  Indeed if if you do this, and re-install the OS to HDD instead of the SSD, your system will feel a lot slower.

Edited by jonuk76, 06 September 2017 - 01:59 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 cheez

cheez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:06 AM

​I was able to move my Documents, Music and ect. to Drive D, however any downloads such as FireFox still install on Drive C.

​I even tried to save the Firefox installer, then moved it from the "Downloads Folder" on C to a Downloads folder on D then installed it and it still installed on C.

​By hitting the windows key and the i key, then selecting "SYSTEM", then "STORAGE", I have changed every thing in the "Save Locations" to install on drive D, but downloads and games still go to C.

The games to day don't come with a CD to install, they download right into C.

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:49 AM

It seems Firefox installer is now dumber than before. Anyway Firefox should anyway go to C:, much faster that way.

You can change downloads location on Firefox.

What games are you talking about? Steam? You can probably set Steam to install games to D:.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:31 AM

I would say that anything, installed, should go on C: barring some very good reason otherwise.

It sounds like the original poster had been, up until very recently, essentially not using the D: drive at all, or very minimally, and downloading pretty much everything to the C: drive.

One easy way to avoid doing this is to make all of the web browsers you use ask you where you want to put a download when you download it.  In Chrome it's under Advanced Settings:

Attached File  Chrome_Dnld_Loc.jpg   22.66KB   0 downloads

and in Firefox it's right on the first page of options:

Attached File  Firefox_Dnld_Loc.jpg   11.38KB   0 downloads

Using this method also saves you a lot of time moving things around after download if you put everything in your Downloads folder.  You simply direct stuff to go to its permanent destination when you're downloading it.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:55 AM

I would say that anything, installed, should go on C: barring some very good reason otherwise.

The OP stated in their first post that the ssd is now full.  Your suggestion would not be practical with a ssd of this size.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

dc3,

And if you read the rest of the thread you see the most likely reason why it's full, and it's not because there's too much installed there, but because it's been being used as a download location and had been being used for virtually everything else.  That matters.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users