Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-install

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jarens

jarens

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:16 AM

Sir,

I am trying to install Win7 on a formatted hard disk which I want to use on this computer, due to that this HD is getting full all of a sudden. The capacity of the HD’s are the same, same make, un-connect the existing HD, connect the new HD, have the Win7 home edition disk inserted in the drive, start the computer get a message “cant find operating system “ Can you help Please, what am I doing wrong.  

Kind regards

Joop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:29 AM

start the computer get a message “cant find operating system “ Can you help Please, what am I doing wrong.  

Kind regards

Joop

this means your computer is trying to boot from the hard drive, not the CD, you need to go into your BIOS and make the CD drive higher priority boot then the hard drive

#3 jarens

jarens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:55 AM

Hi Mikey 11

Thank you for trying to help, I'm  trying to get in  the BIOS by holding Esc key or F2 F8 pressed but no joy, no operating system, also would get message asking for pass woord which I don't have.

Joop

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:54 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Accessing the BIOS...has nothing to do with the O/S.

Password requests are typical of OEM systems...an OEM system may require a BIOS password.

Louis

#5 jarens

jarens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:17 AM

Would like to booth from the Win7 CD which is in the drive, but I understood that the computer is trying to booth from the HD, there is no way I can Install win7 this way.

Joop

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,209 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:42 PM

This is probably going to be post #6, and you still haven't told us whether this computer is a desktop or a laptop, never mind the make and model !

If this is a desktop why not just install this hard drive as a second drive and use it as storage ?  You could move much of your data across to it to free up space on the drive with your OS.

If it is a laptop with space for only one hard drive then you are going to have to find some way of changing the boot priority. Have you tried 'Delete' ?  that's a very common BIOS access key. But even this will not give you more space if you intend having the same applications and data on the drive.

Other things you could try to free up space is run Ccleaner - a free download from BC. It's a very useful little utility for removing temporary files. One word of warning - Ccleaner includes a registry cleaner. You are recommended NOT to use this function.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 jarens

jarens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:43 AM

Hello Chris,

Thank you for the advise, after messing around trying to get Win7 to install on the formatted HD without success, I decided to follow your advise and installed the formatted HD as a second HD 500Mb. The only thing that is bothering me is, that this second HD is called C(E:) while the original is (C:) could that cause a problem??.

Sorry I did not mentioned that my machine is a desk top.

Kind regards

Joop

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,209 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:54 PM

Glad you have found a solution. I have four drives in my own desktop. One for Linux, one for Windows and two 1TB drives purely for data.

The drive names will not cause any problems, the system goes by the © and (E) parts. You can always rename the second drive, say as Storage. Then it would show up as 'Storage(E). In Windows the drive with the active windows installation is always C:\.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 jarens

jarens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:12 AM

Thank you again Chris, I'll leave every thing as is for the time being, although have moved some files to the new drive see what happens.

Regards

Joop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users