Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hurricane Irma...Another Matthew?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:46 AM

Will it be déjà vu...all over again :)..? Track similar to last October's Matthew.  As the consensus of models show in image below or not.

at201711_ensmodel.gif

Then there is Jose....

at201712_5day.gif

Edited by buddy215, 06 September 2017 - 06:49 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,395 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:50 AM

199925.png

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:54 AM

Don't worry, it's going to get lost when it goes through the Bermuda triangle and vanish. Trust me, I'm a scientist and have also watched all seasons of Lost...

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:08 AM

This very well could be a major disaster for Florida...and more!  I'm not prepared do too my health, and trying to prepare for my mother also.  At least Andrew went across Florida and at a decent speed, Irma looks to run right up the whole state!  As folks know S. FL is super dense with people and lot's old homes, trailers etc.  Lot's of negligent people leaving their stuff outside to fly around and damage more stuff?  It surely won't be good, hunker down Budyy215!

Edited by pcpunk, 07 September 2017 - 08:09 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,395 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:37 AM

pcpunk...I'm safe from the storm in West Tn. Enjoying some unseasonably sunny cool 49 degrees this morning. Those

maps I posted update. The white line looks further to the East of Florida right now. Still close enough to cause severe damage

due to the power of this storm. My oldest daughter left Boca Raton last night and is safely in Central Fla.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,229 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:28 AM

Buddy, send me your address, I'll be there tomorrow LOL.  I would have left if my health and my car would permit, but it was not to be...O-boy.  Supplies for some things are not available.  I need a few Size D batteries but there are none to be found yet.  I also need a good cooler as mine are super old and have cracks in them etc.  Trying to repair them as best as possible.  They will be inside of course so it is important that they don't leak to much on the carpet.  

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,240 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:45 AM

pcpunk, if you have large trash bags available that's a good way to "inside drip proof" the coolers.

My thoughts, and those of many others, are with those who've already endured Irma's wrath and those in her possible path.  Let's hope that the "go out to the Atlantic" path ends up being the one taken.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#8 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:26 PM

Hi pcpunk! O-boy is putting your situation lightly! I also send my prayers, I wish there was a way to blow this monster back to sea.

You could place your coolers in the bathtub or shower? If the wind gets strong enough, for protection you can join the cooler(s). Yikes! 

Also, do you have a backup battery for your cell phone charged up?

P.S. It appears that FedEx is still operating in Florida, they might still be delivering to you? If you are able to get BC permission to provide me with your address, I'd be thrilled to send you batteries or anything else critical you need as a donation.  Let me know via a PM.  

softeyes :flowers:

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,229 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:57 PM

pcpunk, if you have large trash bags available that's a good way to "inside drip proof" the coolers.

My thoughts, and those of many others, are with those who've already endured Irma's wrath and those in her possible path.  Let's hope that the "go out to the Atlantic" path ends up being the one taken.

That's great Idea Brian, I have kitchen type and I'll look for some bigger ones today.

Yes, others have already endured the worst already, so hopefully we will be better off than the ones living in the islands.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,229 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:05 PM

Hi pcpunk! O-boy is putting your situation lightly! I also send my prayers, I wish there was a way to blow this monster back to sea.

You could place your coolers in the bathtub or shower? If the wind gets strong enough, for protection you can join the cooler(s). Yikes! 

Also, do you have a backup battery for your cell phone charged up?

P.S. It appears that FedEx is still operating in Florida, they might still be delivering to you? If you are able to get BC permission to provide me with your address, I'd be thrilled to send you batteries or anything else critical you need as a donation.  Let me know via a PM.  

softeyes :flowers:

Thanks for your thoughts and offerings.  I think it is too late to be sending stuff to Fl.  I do have a few headlamps with a decent amount but not a lot of AAA and AA batteries that should last us awhile.  Only lacking some D Size for the one cheap Lantern we have.  Have my pc UPS that I'll stick a few small led Nightlights into, we'll see how long they last.  My UPS is new but not a high end one, so will keep it to a minimum of just these very small LED's.  The bathtub will be full of water softeyes.  The bathroom has a window in it so will be held up in the Walk-in Closet if needed.  Sucks to be in such poor health.  I should have stayed in Colorado haha, I like it there, but now not feeling well enough to even handle the Cold.  If it get's to 70F here I'm freezing, and I loved the cold when I was in Colorado, but my health was not as bad then!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:39 PM

pcpunk, it appears you're a pro at setting up for "events" like this! :woot: As long as you have power, it would be awesome to learn how you manage along the way. 

Buddy215....thanks for starting this thread.  :)

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,229 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:05 PM

Posting and being on the web kinda keeps my mind off all the stress.  That is a big problem for me, my health issues make me stress really easily, then I become in more pain, muscles tighten up and can throw my back out really easily.  To add to the stress my neighbor don't care what happens, and has not put down her storm shutters.  She is not taking this seriously at all!  All her stuff is outside and will become dangerous to us all blowing around into storm shutters and into someone's car windows O-boy.  

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:40 PM

Meh, we normally get 10 every year here but not cat 5.

We get used to it and normally work the day leading up top the event LOL, as long as us Queenslanders have cold beer and some food we can BBQ, then we tend to not worry but you dont have cold beer and BBQ meat then all hell breaks loose.

#14 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,395 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:49 AM

The latest consensus is showing the center of the storm staying on land the entire length of Florida. If that track is followed it will

likely cause hundreds of deaths and hundreds of billions of dollars in damages.

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,229 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:59 AM

Meh, we normally get 10 every year here but not cat 5.

We get used to it and normally work the day leading up top the event LOL, as long as us Queenslanders have cold beer and some food we can BBQ, then we tend to not worry but you dont have cold beer and BBQ meat then all hell breaks loose.

This is a big problem for those with health conditions though!  I felt the same way when I was healthy and young, would surf the day before, but this is a different situation, this one could wipe florida off the map!  Back in the day I had more resources, would have a boat on standby, coolers, food, water.  I am simply not prepared due to the person I live with and my failing health.  Day to day functioning for me is hard enough.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users