Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

battery/motherboard problem?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 clulu

clulu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:58 AM

hello,

ill try to make this short. im only able to fully charge my laptop when its off. it does charge when im using it but it takes hours and hours and so far i havent been able to fully charge it when on; even when im using it for like 7 hours.....this all started when i unfortunately downloaded a program called "driver easy" thinking that updating all my drivers was necessary and would make it faster. i feel like it ruined my laptop, after i installed like 30 drivers in one day. so i wasnt able to figure out which drivers to delete, i mean its a very delicate situation, so i was advised to just install windows 10, since i had windows 7 and maybe the problem would be solved.

so i clean installed windows 10....same problem. and when i plug the laptop in it starts acting funny, veeery slow and just lagging in everything, and keeping it plugged in is already eating up my battery cuz it wont charge 100% anymore...so if its not the drivers, is it the motherboard? i googled some things and im thinking maybe this is the issue. idk. is it because my laptop has always overheated since the beginning and finally it has permanently damaged it? why does it only charge fully when off? are the drivers interfering w/ charging when on? whats going on and how can i fix it? do i have to replace the motherboard?

i have a dell laptop, E6400, now has 64 bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,209 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:31 AM

hello,

this all started when i unfortunately downloaded a program called "driver easy" thinking that updating all my drivers was necessary and would make it faster. i feel like it ruined my laptop

most programs like that are scams and harmful,

however it would seem to me like your battery is toast, very common in most laptops

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:53 AM

It depends on if this laptop is compatible w/Windows 10.

I suggest contacting Dell to see if it is.

If it's compatible w/W10, then you can try a clean install of Windows 10 (I'll provide instructions)

If it's not compatible, then clean install the OS that it came with (If you don't have the disks, ask Dell for a replacement set).

Either way, a fresh clean install of an OS that is compatible with this system should result in a system that functions normally.

If you still have problems, then it's most likely a hardware issue.

If that's the case, then I'd start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Good luck!

Edited by usasma, 06 September 2017 - 06:53 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 clulu

clulu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:24 PM

hi, yes i did upgrade to windows 10 and did a clean install...didnt fix the problem....should i get a new battery then or new motherboard...or just new laptop?

#5 clulu

clulu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:44 PM

and yes mikey i definitely learned my lesson w/ random programs...never again!

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:53 AM

Depends on how you want to work this out.
The first step would be to install any software from Dell that controls the battery/charging system

Beyond that, try installing the OS that the system came with (using the Dell recovery disks) - see if it functions that way.

FWIW - I have installed W10 on countless laptops since it came out - and have never seen a problem with the charging system.

I suspect a hardware problem, but don't have any tests that will prove/disprove this.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 clulu

clulu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:45 AM

i cant believe i just inadvertenly, on a whim fixed the problem after tryna fix this literally for months! i just changed the adapter and now its charging up just like it used to. its the last thing i tried and i didnt think it would work at all. i didnt change the battery just the charger and im not sure if the driver installations messed it up , or maybe it was a chinese knockoff that didnt work right, or maybe it was just its time to go? i guess ill never know but im soooo happy i finally got this fixed, i was thinking of just buying a new laptop or maybe getting a new motherboard. also this is good to know because i dont think i have found the solution by googling or anything, so someone else w/ this problem can get the answer that is sorely needed...however thanks for ur help and for ur diagnostics tools, i bookmarked it for any future problems :)

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:54 PM

I find that most of the problems here are solved by the OP (original poster).

We supply a different viewpoint, but you are the one who knows the system best and actually makes the changes.

Good luck to you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users