Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D: drive has vanished

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jascat

jascat

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:16 AM

I don't know where I am supposed to post this so hopefully its ok if I post this here as I am really worried about this and rather panicky, I have an HP Envy Laptop with a hybrid drive, my C: drive is smaller and used to boot up fast and so I don't keep as much of my information on it, the D: drive that has always been there and much larger is where I started storing all my files, I was looking through a folder a little bit ago on my D: drive and for some reason it froze up, wasn't a big deal and I didn't think anything of it, clicked on it and a box popped up saying it wasn't responding and asking me if I wanted to end the task, so of course I told it yes, it closed out, I went to open it back up, and now my entire D: drive with all my files and data is completely gone and not showing up at all.

I have: restarted, started in safe mode, checked for the drive in Disk Management (there are 3 Partitions "Disk 0 Partition" 1, 2, 5, and then my C: drive, 1, 2, and 5 all say 100% of them is free and there is nothing on them and I am unable to rename them and when I right click on them the only option is "help" which opens a web page about partitions, I tried a couple Partition recovery programs (random ones from googling the problem) and none of them were able to find anything

if I try to open a file or folder from my D: drive by selecting frequent ones it tells me "D:\(name of folder) is unavailable. if the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disk is inserted and try again" etc I really need help and have all my important files on there and really need help to get them back...thank you ahead of time for any help you can provide, please let me know if there is any other information I need to attach.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:46 AM

This doesn't sound good.  DO NOT use the computer any more until you start to recover data.
If the hard drive is dead/dying, repeated use may make it more difficult/more expensive to recover your files (if recovery is possible).

I suggest using GetDataBack from http://www.runtime.org.

It is free to try (it will tell you what it can recover), but they will charge you $80 (last I checked) in order to actually recover the data

If that's not possible, then you may have to contact a professional data recovery firm - and that can get very expensive (up to $2000 US)

You can also try the Backup forums here for some more expert advice:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

Edited by usasma, 06 September 2017 - 06:47 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 jascat

jascat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:27 PM

This doesn't sound good.  DO NOT use the computer any more until you start to recover data.
If the hard drive is dead/dying, repeated use may make it more difficult/more expensive to recover your files (if recovery is possible).

I suggest using GetDataBack from http://www.runtime.org.

It is free to try (it will tell you what it can recover), but they will charge you $80 (last I checked) in order to actually recover the data

If that's not possible, then you may have to contact a professional data recovery firm - and that can get very expensive (up to $2000 US)

You can also try the Backup forums here for some more expert advice:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

Thank you very much for the response and the help, I took your advice and moved over to the other forum, here is the link if anyone reads this and has any other advice or can take a look at whats being discussed (GetDataBack was unable to find the D: drive, my files, or even the storage space at all as if all that section of my computer has vanished into thin air)

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/656493/d-drive-has-vanished/

#4 jascat

jascat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:08 AM

My problem has been solved! thank you all so much for taking the time to look my problem over and thank you so much usasma for your suggestions and for sending me to the other forum, how it got fixed is posted in that forum that you can get to with the link in my last post (is a disappointing answer sadly) if anyone else reads this and wants to know how I solved it :) I really appreciate the help! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users