Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The new drives and bookmarks back up saga

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sceadugenga

sceadugenga

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:16 PM

I mentioned my new SSD drive elsewhere and got good, if somewhat conflicting, advice.

Basically I've installed two new drives, an SSD and a HDD while keeping the original HDD which had three partitions.

I'll add a screenshot.

I neglected to back up my FireFox bookmarks and thought they were lost even though I suspected they may be hidden somewhere in the old HDD drive.

This morning, much to my surprise the PC opened in/from the old drive so, regardless of anything else I immediately backed up the bookmarks.

I then rebooted and the PC started normally from the SSD drive.

I now have a back up of the bookmarks but don't know how to reinstall them, it mumbles something about syncing.

I don't know how to deliberately start the PC from the old drive either. (Windows 7)

Does that make sense?

I cannot see how to add a thumbnail here so will have to drag and drop a very large image. Sorry about that.

OK, it wont allow the image, you'll have to use your imaginations. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sceadugenga

sceadugenga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:19 PM

Capture_pc_page.png

Edited by sceadugenga, 05 September 2017 - 08:50 PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:47 PM

What is the extension on the bookmark file, html or json?

#4 sceadugenga

sceadugenga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:17 PM

json

I'd never heard of it and googling it did not help much, something to do with java. :unsure:

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:22 PM

How did you backup the bookmarks. This is usually done through Firefox > Bookmarks >Show all Bookmarks > Backup/Restore  or Import/Export

Backup/Restore is for a .json file  Import/Export for a html.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/restore-bookmarks-from-backup-or-move-them#w_backup-and-restore

#6 sceadugenga

sceadugenga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:28 PM

Back up restore.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:32 PM

If you used Backup/Restore to backup the bookmarks then it should be a file with a .json extension as shown in the link I posted.

1. In the Bookmarks backup filename window that opens, choose a location to save the file, which is named bookmarks-"date".json by default. The desktop is usually a good spot, but any place that is easy to remember will work.
  2. Save the bookmarks json file. The Bookmarks backup filename window will close and then you can close the Library window.

If you have the file then use Restore in Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks. This will overwrite any current bookmarks you now have.

#8 sceadugenga

sceadugenga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:36 PM

OK, thanks for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users