Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Pale Moon Browser has Hijacked my Email Program

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:16 PM

I decided to give the Pale Moon browser a try and it seemed to work at least as well as Firefox. However, it seems like when I look at the lower left corner of the screen, it's constantly loading files from the internet, even after the web page is displayed. Occasionally, a warning window from Emsisoft or Malwarebytes will pop up and tell me that it has blocked a known attack site. Plus Pale Moon seems to insert a lot of ads inline with the text on the page. I don't like this and I wanted to get rid of Pale Moon and go back to Firefox, so I Uninstalled Pale Moon using Windows 7's Programs and Features function.

Now that it was gone, I opened my Thunderbird program and found that when I clicked a link in an email, nothing happened. The URL for the link was displayed in the lower left corner of the page, but the link never opened.

I figured that the problem might be that I had Uninstalled Pale Moon when it was still set as the Default Browser, so I went back and reinstalled Pale Moon, then made Firefox the Default Browser, then Uninstalled Pale Moon again. Links in emails still wouldn't open. Somehow or other, it seems like Pale Moon has changed something in Thunderbird such that it is always the browser that is used when opening links, even when the program is not installed on the computer. Does anyone know where I might start looking to fix this problem? I've checked every setting in Thunderbird and there doesn't seem to be any settings for which browser to use, so it must be buried in one of Thunderbird's program files.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,636 posts
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:20 PM

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users