Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot install Windows 98

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16 uzimonkey

uzimonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:47 PM

Did you FDISK and format the drive for FAT32? You said you had XP on the drive. Ergo it is probably still set to NTFS file system, which XP uses.

Dont just format it, FDISK it forom a 98 bootable media to delete and recreate the partition, then format it

No, I cleared the partition table and made a new FAT32 primary partition spanning the whole drive.

I'm at a loss as to what happened, I've installed Win9x probably a hundred times (though not in the past 15 or so years) and just nothing was working.  Not from the 3 discs I had (one an official Win98 disc I've had forever), they all gave the error.  That was an Athlon XP 3200+ I had hoped to use as a kind of ultimate Win98 machine, basically what high school me would have killed for.  I guess it wasn't meant to be though, I found a Duron 1GHz board and it works so I guess I'm just giving up on the 3200+.

The good news is the Duron absolutely kills the games I want to play even in software rendering.  I don't know what framerate I was getting in NFS 2 and Quake 2 back in the day, but the Duron can render them in software more at what must be full framerate.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users