Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot install Windows 98

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 uzimonkey

uzimonkey

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:26 PM

I'm trying to install Windows 98 on an Athlon XP machine.  Every time the setup launches I get an error message that just says "Setup Cannot Continue" with a red X icon and that's it, no error message or code or anything.  I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do at this point, there's nothing really to google with an error message like that.

I've formatted the drive manually and run scandisk on the first 10% or so with no bad sectors found, a Linux live CD runs fine so I'm reasonably sure that the memory is OK.  I'm a bit limited in what I can do to poke at this problem since the machine won't boot from USB and I'm out of CD-R discs.  Tonight I'm going to run memtest if I can find it on a CD I already have and run scandisk fully in case the temp files are being written into bad sectors or something when it tries to install.

Another issue is I'm using an ISO I found for OEM computers.  This was the only bootable Win98 ISO I could find and I don't have any floppy disks or even a drive in any other computers to write a boot disk.  Is this somehow locked out from installing on "normal" computers?  I'm not really sure how it would know it's not an OEM machine.

It also may be that the motherboard and CPU are a bit new, but the chipset has Win98 drivers so I thought Win98 would install easily.  It's a 3200+ and the chipset is a Via KT400 or KT400a.

I'm at a bit of a loss here though, so any ideas you guys have I'll give a shot.  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:32 PM

You might try one of these files;

https://winworldpc.com/product/windows-98/windows-98

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 uzimonkey

uzimonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:40 PM

You might try one of these files;

https://winworldpc.com/product/windows-98/windows-98

That's actually where I got the ISO I'm using.  I've managed to scrounge up one more CD-R so until more come I only have one shot at this if the OEM version was a problem.  I've set up a virtual machine to test if the ISOs are bootable as the site claimed that only the OEM disc was bootable.  If you've used any of these ISOs and have had success with them, I'd like to know which one.

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:42 PM

You can't legally install an OEM copy of Windows which may be why it isn't letting you continue.

#5 uzimonkey

uzimonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:43 PM

You can't legally install an OEM copy of Windows which may be why it isn't letting you continue.

That's...  strange, why does it have an installer then?  I seem to remember some OEM tool where you could make a floppy disc that would automate the install, I guess that's what it's for.

I guess the search continues for a bootable retail Win98 ISO.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,259 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:06 PM

If you follow the link that I provided, there is a Full Retail copy of Windows 98, that is what I would use. Also, there are a couple of things that are essential for you to do BEFORE you attempt to install;

1. Disconnect your computer from the internet

2. Download all of the drivers for your equipment for Windows 98. This might prove to be a challenge, it might take several days, but you have to do it.

Also, you might want to practice your installation skills in a VirtualBox;

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9918

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,259 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:08 PM

That's...  strange, why does it have an installer then?  I seem to remember some OEM tool where you could make a floppy disc that would automate the install, I guess that's what it's for.

I guess the search continues for a bootable retail Win98 ISO.

This particular version is bootable;

https://winworldpc.com/download/417712E4-18DA-11E4-99E5-7054D21A8599

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:18 PM

OEM licenses are only for system builders who mass produce computers. Each has a separate OEM ID. It's hard to explain but what you need is a full version not an OEM. If I may ask, why do you want Windows 98?

#9 uzimonkey

uzimonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:18 PM

Right, that's the ISO I used and is giving me the error message.  I also found a supposedly bootable 98SE retail copy and it's also giving me the error message.  I'll try to get a picture of the error message but it's only really on the screen for a moment.

I have VMWare and have booted up the ISO.  It actually installs there, for some reason, but won't install on actual hardware.  I have no idea what this "error message" really means, all it says is "Setup cannot continue" and then setup exits.  I have a feeling this is a hardware issue.  I should have used my last CD-R on memtest86+, not a Win98 retail CD.  Oops.

#10 uzimonkey

uzimonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:20 PM

If I may ask, why do you want Windows 98?

Nostalgia and to run some games that only run on Windows 9x.  I have a soft spot for 9x, I've missed it since I switched to Windows 2000 like 17 years ago now.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,490 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:40 PM

How much RAM is on the computer and is this being installed on a clean drive because you can't install 98 on a drive formatted NTFS. It has to be formatted FAT32.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/333688.html

I would recommend you get 98SE and not 98 if that is what you downloaded.

You also need to watch the hard drive partition size.

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/is-there-a-maximum-hard-drive-size-with-windows-98-102695/

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/184294-48-win98se-hard-drive-limit

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/hard-disk-drives-capacity-limits/6/

#12 uzimonkey

uzimonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:44 PM

I took out the RAM that was in it (2 1gig sticks) and put in a 512MB stick, I knew about the memory limitations ahead of time.  I am using Win98 SE and the hard drive is 40 gig.  I've used fdisk to remove the partitions that were on it and made a single FAT32 partition.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,490 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:31 PM

Just a guess but try setting BIOS back to default. Is there anything in the BIOS that prevents writing to the boot sector of the hard disk. It would be for malware protection. Some older BIOS had this setting.

#14 uzimonkey

uzimonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:05 PM

I reset the BIOS, and no, writing to the boot sector is fine.  I've come to the conclusion that there is something wrong with the hardware.  I found an old Windows 95 disc, got that installed by booting the Win98 disc to command prompt and running setup and it wouldn't even boot after install.  So now I've dug out the parts to the computer I gutted to put this computer together, a Duron 1GHz and the installed Windows 95 boots fine.  I reboot and try installing Win98 and it just breezes past where the other machine was failing.

So uh...  thanks for all the help guys, but there's just something not right with that machine.

#15 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,491 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:38 PM

Did you FDISK and format the drive for FAT32? You said you had XP on the drive. Ergo it is probably still set to NTFS file system, which XP uses.

Dont just format it, FDISK it forom a 98 bootable media to delete and recreate the partition, then format it

In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users