Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't troubleshoot probs with voice recognition

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Astrovel

Astrovel

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:32 PM

I started out troubleshooting the microphone. I got it where it is working, but still some probs there with the volume. But at least I know the microphone is working. Now I am trying to get the speech part working. When I say "new line", it inserts "Elia" (must be the Gremlin's girlfriend). If I say "New Paragraph" it writes "And start Maung now to get know why that the navy". I thought it might be a problem with the language settings since Maung is a language but I can't find anything that is other than English in all the settings. I say "Is the sound settings correct?" and it writes "It's the sound setting for a bidder is the file and spending".

So as you can see, I have a Gremlin who is driving me nuts.

My settings for the headset may be at issue. Because I have the headset plugged into the front jack and I don't see the back jack showing and my desktop speakers and Skype are hooked into the back jack. I've tried to find out how to separate the two without success. I changed all the Skype settings that I thought might interfere.

I need to get it set up to be able to use voice to text anyplace I go on the internet and out and it is incredibly hard. I ran into a subscription that said it would help with voice to text by having an extensive list of words available to carry on a conversation or write an email without having to stop and type a specific word etc. This is called Microsoft Azure. Does anybody know if that will help me in getting this feature setup? I hope so because I signed up for it (free trial).

OK: Here's the info:

It's desktop:  Dell Inspirion 3847    64 bit

1 Tg hard drive Windows 8.1

Forgot what processor speed it is.

I can use the voice to text on my phone but setting up the desktop is awful.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by hamluis, 07 September 2017 - 01:24 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Windows 8 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:28 PM

Worth A Look

Louis

#3 Astrovel

Astrovel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:51 PM

Thank you Louis for responding. My OP was garbled in transmission to you.....But it's my 84 yr old brain on Gabapentin that screws everything up.

Anyway, here is what I am getting when I try to dictate to voice recognition. Note: I have to manually click on Start Listening. It doesn't respond to voice.

I say:
"The voice recognition program...."
It types:           The name Bo as threat has been a share pro hour and a

I say: "new line"
It types:            Do not

I say "new paragraph"
It types:            No error

I say: "50 winners will be confirmed in just a few days. Your failure to respond to this notice and enter in a timely manner for your opportunity to win may result in immediate forfeiture of funds from this notice."

It types:            Then they're wet soil beneath a file in chess of you in a very your failure to respond to this novice and terror in a timely manner born more opportune union two win mayor wrote Paul NNEE it worked for sure of funds from this note. OK

I have upgraded everything windows has based on your link, Worth a Look. 
I have no idea how to fix this. When I use this headset when speaking on Skype, everyone says I sound fine, coming through loud and clear. So, I can't figure out why Microsoft Voice Recognition can't interpret the words I actually say.
Any more ideas? 

Edited by Astrovel, 07 September 2017 - 03:02 PM.

#4 dziabong

dziabong

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:51 PM

I'd try double checking if every single option (in the system and in the tool itself) having anything to do with language is set properly. I mean language settings, regional settings even keyboard settings just in case. Small chance that it would help but yet worth trying.

#5 Astrovel

Astrovel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:14 AM

Still have the problem. Can't use my voice recognition program until I get this garbled words solved. I think it may be related to the microphone on headset because the little box that resides at the bottom of my screen does not respond to voice. To say: Stop listening. nothing happens. you have to manually turn it off. And the rest of the time he's sleeping. He doesn't respond when I say: Start listening.

But the microphone on the headset is functional.

Edited by Astrovel, 10 September 2017 - 11:18 AM.

#6 Astrovel

Astrovel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:56 AM

I've read the following post regarding Realtek and the OP seems to have alot of experience in troubleshooting his settings whereas I am a DLOL (Dear little old lady) that is technically challenged.

I hate to have to go buy a new headset when I know it works on Skype and still have the same problem with a new headset.

Louis: I notice that Yojimbosan says he works with speech microphones. Can we prevail upon his generosity and ask him for an opinion?

#7 dziabong

dziabong

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:05 AM

One more thing came to my mind: Is this repeatable? I mean, do the same phrases always give the same (or similar) transcription?

If so, I would say it is software problem.
If not, it may be indeed problem with input signal or software as well.

#8 Astrovel

Astrovel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:36 AM

dziabong: Thank you, thank you for responding.    No it is not repeatable. My post #3 gives you an idea of how it responds. After I went into the Microsoft Voice Recognition area and downloaded the MVR program for sure. It is much better but still is not useable. There are too many errors.

Here's what it should read: "We get the ribs when they are on sale, Charles said. We get the pork back or baby back ribs. They have different names at different stores."

Here's what it dictates: "than the we get their ribs when they are on sale, Charles said we get the ball more back for baby back ribs. They have different names at different stores. The"

Do you think I should buy a new headset? Or keep trying to solve it as a problem with the voice recognition?

#9 dziabong

dziabong

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:53 PM

I don't know. I have never used those programs. What you had described previously was really suspicious. But the transcription from the last post is not so bad. I have been few years since I were more into speech recognition field and things could have changed, but getting 100% correctness is not so easy to get.

Can better mic do the job? Possible but not sure. It may be limitation of the algorithm itself.

Do this program have a tool to show the mistakes and correct them? It should. In such case the program is learning and becomes more and more accurate with the time. 

#10 Astrovel

Astrovel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for your effort in helping me. I guess I will just give up and see if a standalone product might work differently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users