Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Memory

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Threesom666

Threesom666

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:05 PM

Whats best to use?

Autmatically manage, System Manage, or custom?

Ive noticed autmoatically changes my memory size and its hassle especially when Im low on space. Getting the temporary message and throwing me off constantly with the different size requirements. Ive read that you can use custom based on your specs. Would it affect my memory? Dont know I dont know what anything about system managed. I used to have xp and had it set. I think it worked great. Looking for best speeds hopefully not damaging the system.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:58 PM

There's no "best to use" option. If I were you, I'd just leave let Windows automatically manage the paging file size and buy a bigger drive. This is the safest way out, especially if you're not tech-savvy.

Regarding page file terminology, here are some definitions describing page file settings, which can help you decide which option to use:

• Automatically manage paging file size for all drives = This is selected by default and is (of course) recommended by Microsoft. This automatically selects "System managed size" (which is greyed-out). As its name suggests, Windows automatically determines page file size.
  • Custom Size = Selecting this option allows the user to set the size of the paging file manually.
  • No paging file = Selecting this option configures Windows not to have a paging file (not recommended by me)

If you'd like to custom-set your page file regardless, please do not use any "magic" formulas on the web.The correct way to determine your paging file size is to use your commit charge peak value, as explained in these two guides:

Edited by bwv848, 05 September 2017 - 04:59 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 Threesom666

Threesom666
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:15 PM

After reading all of that which I did both articles. It still left me where I had started. Of course it doesnt help that they are as they say a million articles suggesting otherwise on the custom size. Seems like all of this is a waste of time.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:21 PM

The recommendation from bwv848 is to let the system automatically manage this, and I second it, especially if you don't have in-depth knowledge of how paging works and how to tweak that for maximum advantage on those rare occasions where it might help.

I have always let Windows manage virtual memory, as the folks who've developed the OS know a lot more about how to optimize things for "the general case," than I do.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:28 PM

Agree with bwv848 and britechguy
You are generally right that it's just a waste of time. You do not have to do anything, Windows does it itself.
Previously, the custom size worked, but it did not work in the latest version of Windows ( on 1703 or so called Creators Update). I'm not bothered to investigate why it doesn't work, because it is completely useless to investigate. But look, it must be enabled, because otherways Your Windows may freeze or be unstable.

Edited by zainmax, 07 September 2017 - 02:30 PM.

#6 Threesom666

Threesom666
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:21 PM

Thank you for you all for your advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users