Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:50 PM

Post #15, maybe there has been a change recently, but when I last tried windows defender/security essentials (built into windows 8.0 back when I had that) I distinctly remember not having that right click option. It looks like something has changed since I last looked at ms's offering for an antivirus, my apologies for providing out of date info.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Threesom666

Threesom666
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:29 PM

Late to the party.

I have had similar issues with a toshiba I had where I updated the firmware and it actually had less options and it give an issue. I had to do factory restore and then not to touch the bios. I agree not to touch the bios or most stuff unless fully certain.

Take for instance the new firefox, 57. Its a total nightmare. I thought it would be better than it is but you lose what firefox its all about it. Its addons. So I update, right? I lose all addons plus I cant revert back to my previous one. So the only option I have is to keep 56. Not to mention the same issues are happening with the addons that the updates suck and give issues. So I have to revert back even in that.

Luckily till now mse hasnt been an issue with the updates. The sizes has been consistent and low.

Ubunto has had issues but I couldnt find the time to just go the forums. Instead I have it at the local techs updating the new version. Hopefully it is better than the previous.

I did try several terminal commands that pretended to had fix it but glitches were always there. Now that Im updating it should be fixed.

I had tried those when I first started back to the pc world. I remember avast was the best antivirus I had ever seen. Now its a ram hog and slows down the pc dramatically. I also hate the new interface. I tried avg, avira, kaspersky, and the rest of the gang. I stopped short of bitdefender. All were a space hog, ram hog, made my pc extremely slow and were extremely annoying. MSE has done its job so far and hasnt given me any issues except the annoying auto update but ive learned to live with it.

Ive read that MSE is a real-time antivirus meaning it scans everything before it goes on the pc and constantly scans everything on it but on top of all that it also does have that scan feature if done manually. Though I almost never have a virus. Only rarely if I enter it an infested usb.

No need to apologize. You were trying to provide great information. I often find myself knowing old version programs. Then when I somehow find the new one or update it I find it a lot worst than how it used to be going crazy searching all over the web for that old version I used to use though very hard to find.

#18 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:39 PM

Well indeed the latest versions of ubuntu have been a bit on the buggy side.
I know I had my issues with 17.04 and 17.10
If those are your first experience with linux dont give it up.
Linux can be a great system if you know what you are doing.
If you are looking for linux distributions on the side to try out and ensure you are not being observed by microsoft there are plenty of options.
You could stop by the linux section here and we can all sit down and have a nice chat.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/11/linux-unix/
Just try not to mention you do less than legal things online mkay?
Personally I dont care if you are the grand master of a certain bay out there where seafaring rogues go but you may wish to hide your grog.
Just put your boat on the beach, drop your anchor and take a nice stroll with us.

Edited by MadmanRB, 26 November 2017 - 11:31 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#19 Threesom666

Threesom666
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:53 AM

Madmanrb

I actually think it was my pc, oddly. The issue seemed to appear because of its kernal, conflicting with the system.

I had 17.04 and updating it now to 17.10. Though overall I did like it, very simple. But I did miss many of its customization of windows.

Since I am not that good with computers or linux and my surroundings cant help much with linux I have to stick to 17.10 and figure it out as I go along.

The funny thing is that lately I havent really done much downloading or uploading because Ive been too busy figuring it out. Watching films online or chatting with babes. Fixing pcs, or not having enough memory. So I havent concentrated at all at p2p, torrenting, and the like. Though trafficking at the bay sounds tempting. lol. I think all us experts should create such an island, sit back and take a sip.

#20 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,943 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:16 AM

Good idea. Chatting with babes usually helps a lot.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#21 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:18 PM

Post #17, you shouldn't stick with firefox 56, it has security vulnerabilities. Either update it to 57, or if 57 is not to your liking (it might cause problems for your add-ons) then use firefox ESR, that is based on version 52 and has all the saem security fixes as version 57 but keeps the old interface and maintains compatibility with old add-ons until mid 2018, by which time add-ons might be updated to work properly with the new quantum engine.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#22 Threesom666

Threesom666
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:11 PM

Just read that ESR is for governments and school which is not what I want. What vulnerabilities? Dont they all have issues, vulnerabilities, and bugs? Add-ons and old interface is important to me.

#23 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:02 PM

Being for "governments and schools" doesn't mean it is "dull", rather it means it is stable, organisations with lots of computers can run it easily because they know it won't be changing in any way except for getting security updates, so they needn't worry about having a change in firefox cause an incompatibility with some other software they run. There is no disadvantage for a home user who wants to swtich from the release version of firefox to the ESR, all you lose is some of the features added in the last year or so. ESR gives you compatibility with any add-on which has not yet, or will never be*, altered to be compatible with the quantum engine. *in which case switching to ESR will delay your problems until several months into next year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users