Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues & BSOD's since Windows 10 Creator's update

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 iain_j

iain_j

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:40 PM

Hi,

Firstly I'll apologise in advance, I may be short of details and slow to get them - this issue is with my dad's laptop, I've had a look on it via TeamViewer, and it may be days or weeks when I can get my hands on it directly.

His laptop *was* originally a Lenovo Thinkpad R61, I bought it in 2013 reconditioned. It has a Core 2 Duo T7100 processor, 3GB RAM, 160GB HDD (approx half full), and came with Windows 7 Home Premium pre-installed, which has since upgraded to Windows 10 about 18 months ago. It's always been fine, despite an odd hiccup which usually resolved themselves, but it seems since the Creator's update which installed not long ago things have been going awry, with regular BSOD's lately.

A couple of weeks back it wouldn't connect to his router via wifi, but would connect fine via ethernet. I'd not had chance to look into this, but for the time being a wired connection was fine. Then the BSOD's started - apparently it wouldn't stay on the blue screen for long before the screen went black, sometimes it would stay black for over an hour before returning to the desktop, other times he'd disconnect the battery, re-connect and start up again and everything would be fine until it bluescreens again a few days later. The latest oddity is that his Windows Live Mail has "lost" his Gmail account - his older account is still there and still works, but the second email account has disappeared - I wonder if Windows has done a rollback / system restore during one of its bluescreens / blackscreens, to a time before that account was added?

I had a look via TeamViewer yesterday and recovered three minidumps, each had different bugcheck codes:

Code 0x50 - PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Param 1: 0x86564f8f

Param 2: 0x00000002

Param 3: 0x81a68005

Param 4: 0x00000002

Caused by ntoskrnl.exe

Drivers in stack: halmacpi.dll, ntoskrnl.exe, win32kbase.sys, win32kfull.sys

Code 0x19 - BAD_POOL_HEADER

Param 1: 0x00000022

Param 2, 3, 4: 0x00000000

Caused by halmacpi.dll
Drivers in stack: halmacpi.dll, ntoskrnl.exe, win32kbase.sys, win32kfull.sys

Code 0xBE - ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY

Param 1: 0x86904f8f

Param 2: 0x05bc1101

Param 3: 0xb17e8be0

Param 4: 0x0000000b

Caused by ks.sys

Drivers in stack: ks.sys, ntoskrnl.exe, win32kbase.sys, win32kfull.sys

I had a look in device manager, no devices had warning icons, I went over a few devices (display, IDE controllers, network adapters) and checked for updated drivers, they all told me the latest driver was installed. Had a look in event viewer for any tell-tale critical issues, warnings or errors around the time of each minidump and nothing stood out.

Beyond this I'm at a loss. I ran the sysnative app and have attached its output and would appreciate where to go next! I appreciate it's an old laptop at heart despite the reconditioning (BIOS date is 2008) but everything was more-or-less fine until the creator's update, and it's not used for much more than web browsing, email and MS Word docs.

Thanks,

Iain

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iain_j

iain_j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:49 PM

Just to add - this is a very intermittent problem, apparently one of the BSOD's was not long after starting up, then other times it can run for hours with no problem (other than only connecting to the internet on a wired connection) - last night I was on it for about 2 hours via TeamViewer with no problems.

Also to add - I was on it hands-on at the weekend and it was very slow after starting up, I opened Task Manager and disk usage was up above 90% continually for the short time I was watching it. He's scanned the laptop with AVG since these problems and nothing was found.

#3 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:26 PM

Hi,

Please start by checking for any BIOS updates on Lenovo's website. As you mentioned, it is nine years old and could be the cause of your issues. Newer versions of Windows much prefer to have an updated BIOS.

Please also ensure that Windows is completely up-to-date — only three hotfixes installed.

Any idea what this Device Manager error is all about:

Atmel TPM    ROOT\SYSTEM\0001    This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device.

It appears to be that AVG is the culprit. Please get your father to uninstall AVG and run their removal tool. In the mean time, please use Windows Defender instead.

If issues persists, please start running these free hardware diagnostics, and if ALL of the tests, pass run Driver Verifier according to these instructions. I usually suspect hardware issues with ancient systems like yours. :)

Regards,
bwv848

P.S. Are you using a wireless USB adapter?

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users