Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent WiFi - Windows 10 & Chrome

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JP Smit

JP Smit

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:23 AM

Greetings and thanks in advance for any perspective you can provide. This site has been a huge help before and I truly appreciate it!

Earlier this summer I got fed up with the slowness of my Laptop (Lenovo B575) so, took it in to my local computer store and had them do a cold reload of Windows 10. When I bought the laptop it had Windows 7 or 8 - and Windows 10 downloaded automatically as part of the great download.

The store also installed Kaspersky anti virus as well as Kaspersky Secure Connection.

At pretty much the same time, I also upgraded my internet (Rogers in Canada) but kept the same modem ( HITRON CODA-4582)

Since then I have had no end of connectivity issues.

I use Chrome.

When I got it back, I regularly got "Aw Snap" messages - particularly on websites like Kijiji - these have ceased.

Now, I regularly get the internet cutting out randomly - sometimes every few seconds - so, this morning, I am trying to listen to internet radio and it keeps cutting out. Likewise I will typically get a "DNS not found" page followed by "You are not connected to the Internet." when I go to a new site.  If I wait 30 seconds or a minute all comes back, but, then it happens again. As well, I regularly get the "connection to the printer has been lost" message. This happens most often when I am starting the computer after inactivity BUT not only then - it happened three times trying to get onto this site.

I do use WiFi and I am in the same room as the modem (8 feet away) When the internet works it is very fast and then every once in awhile it all grinds to a halt and pages load and load and load.

Not sure what else to add. I called Rogers and they said it was the computer as it was only my computer and nothing else on the network. I took it back to the store and they had no issues with their network. I had an open ticket with Kaspersky and didn't really get anywhere.

Help! (and thanks again!)

Cheers

JP 

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 05 September 2017 - 05:19 PM.
Moved from Win 10 to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JP Smit

JP Smit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:35 PM

Just wanted to update myself. I just uninstalled Kaspersky and everything seems (so far) to be working properly. Do I just ditch the program or was there something I should have done - and if not kaspersky, what? (I had been using the free Avast)

thanks again!

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:04 PM

Have you try reinstalling Kaspersky and installing latest version of wireless card driver.

Posted Image

#4 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:27 AM

Hi, when you install a third party Anti Virus the AV is supposed to disable the inbuilt windows defender, and the windows firewall, if the third party util has a firewall. This does not always happen (often it is the firewall that stays active) 

You will get a lot of opinions regarding the best AV to use, many are motivated by commercial interests and others are just not good science, regardless your experience with kaspersky should alert you to the possibility that your protection is being elevated above your ability to actually use your computer.

I can illustrate by an analogy, Peter Brook was a famous racing driver, he explained that the company he drove for (GM Aus) spent millions of dollars on R&D to improve the cars performance, the special performance models were particularly tuned for maximum safety and performance, he asked why then did some owners take their cars to a performance shop with a budget of peanuts and believe that they would improve on the factory product.

It is marketing and human nature, you want the best for your shiny new computer, and you are prepared to pay for it, even though you have nothing but the hype, and others experiences to guide you, in the end you have to take the word of a company you know little to nothing about.

Experience has shown that MS were slow to get into the act, however lately they have taken security very seriously, Defender now with windows firewall offers as good, if not better protection then any AV, especially for the home user. The great advantage of the MS product is it's integration with the OS, and with MS app's and windows updates.

If you decide to stay with Defender, Kaspersky has to be uninstalled using their util, they are so embedded in the OS (particularly the registry) they require specialized tools to be rid of them. I once watched a computer engineer from Mossad remove references of McAfee from a xp computer he was a keyboard blur and it took over 45 mins to complete, even then I explained he had missed some 12 entries.

You paid for a licence to use windows (might have been an earlier version) it comes with most of what a home user needs to keep as safe as externally is possible (a lot is up to you). Use defender and windows firewall.

#5 JP Smit

JP Smit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:20 PM

Thanks for this - and thanks for the explanation jenae. I think I will take your advice and leave it to Microsoft - what could go wrong right?  :hysterical:

Seriously, though I think that and regular backups should do it... Freebooter, I do have the license for a year, so, if necessary can do as you suggest.

thanks again, I truly appreciate it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users