Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Went and resized partition to the left

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Idonegoofed

Idonegoofed

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:23 PM

Topic. I'd been convinced a resize to the left was fine so long as it was done with a "modern tool claiming windows compatibility" and used a (not naming it as I don't know the forum rules on this) tool that I saw rated highly on several sites I trust.

So I resize from a different windows partition, run the "file integrity check" and such that it recommends and reboot to see how it went.

Not well. Got a black screen with "this copy of windows is not genuine" and nothing else. Launched task manager and manually started explorer.exe, what loaded up looked like safe mode and nothing would open.

Trying to open any folder got "no interface supported" or similar error, attempts to open an admin cmd.exe to try ANY fix gave an error that the files were not found on drive D. This OS is on drive I... Drive D is used for swap.

No clue what I did here. I know this is a lot to read and I appreciate if anybody's got any insight. Google was worthless, only results for folks who can no longer boot at all after a partition goof.

As for what I have tried? In addition to the cmd failure above, I have attempted to load from my install cd to see if boot repair would somehow fix my confused OS.

No luck. I use grub2 for dual-boot purposes so I had to switch to UEFI from legacy (I can only load ANY OS from legacy but have to switch to load disks and such) and it says "no bootable media found"

Please help me out, I've got 750gb of files I can't replace on this partition and I'm a bit panicked.

Any additional info required, let me know. Apologies for formatting, posting from mobile.

Also: safe mode will not boot, it locks up at the same point when loading files and I believe it's because it's looking on D drive for the next file and not I as it should.

That and "repair my computer" is absent from the f8 menu. I have had similar slip ups before and managed to fix them by manually copying some boot files from my cd after mounting it, no luck on that front this time.

Again, apologies if most of this info is useless.

One last bit of info: it appears that my user account info is also being looked for on D AFTER logging in.

I can log in fine, I've actually entered an incorrect password to be sure it's checking the account and not simply skipping login.

Upon login I am informed that I am using a temporary login and all changes are to be deleted on shutdown. So it checks my password, logs in and then it all goes downhill due, I believe, to an attempt to load from the wrong partition on A TOTALLY DIFFERENT DRIVE and I'm baffled.

Edited by hamluis, 05 September 2017 - 04:46 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Disk Management - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:46 AM

Knowing what tool was used in your attempt...might possibly help determine what the problem might be.

Louis

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:36 AM

Idonegoofed, did you by any chance resize right over on top of a tiny partition or two that appeared to have nothing inside?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Idonegoofed

Idonegoofed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:50 AM

Knowing what tool was used in your attempt...might possibly help determine what the problem might be.

Louis

Minitool partition wizard, it came highly recommended.

I've dug myself a deeper hole now. I leapt without looking and ran diskpart clean following what I thought was a tutorial to find the drivers the repair disk I finally got working requested.

So now I'm pulling my hair out trying everything under the sun to recover the partition just so I can start fixing it all over again!

Tried selecting the disk in diskpart and running assign letter but it's insisting there is no disk selected despite it very clearly confirming "disk 1 selected" right in front of me.

If somebody can help me it'd make my week, I've jacked up my system before but never this severely.

Roland,
As for the seemingly empty partition question, yes. Come to think of it I did exactly that. Man, I've really made a mess of things.

Edit: I have another 1tb usb 3.0 drive handy with nothing on it. I know it's very possible (as I have not messed with the drive at all) to transfer the partition to another drive. I just have no idea how, or why it's instantaneous to delete the partition yet takes hours or days to restore it.

Is there a quick way to simply restore the partition? I'd imagine deleting it simply toggled a 1 to a 0 much like deleting any file and can't understand why it's not recoverable like any other deleted file when nothing has been overwritten?

Edited by Idonegoofed, 05 September 2017 - 10:58 AM.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:36 PM

MiniTool Partition Wizard version 9 might or might not be helpful in getting that now-lost partition back; it depends upon what diskpart /clean actually did with or to that hard-drive.  Ask others, I'm not familiar with diskpart.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:06 PM

The diskpart clean command deleted all partitions on the disk you used clean on. You say you dual boot with a grub boot loader so I assume the other OS was linux? Can you still boot linux?

#7 Idonegoofed

Idonegoofed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:37 PM

The diskpart clean command deleted all partitions on the disk you used clean on. You say you dual boot with a grub boot loader so I assume the other OS was linux? Can you still boot linux?

Luckily, yes! Used testdisk (tried the windows version on another partition, it was vastly different) on my kubuntu install and sorted it in 30 seconds flat!

Now all I have to do is fix the whole "windows thinks the system files are on a different partition" issue and I'm set.

I'd imagine the repair menu'd have some option to fix this, trouble is that I can't figure out which driver it's asking me to point to.

It doesn't list either windows install on the screen to select which one to repair and instead vaguely demands a driver.

Thanks a lot for your help, everyone. Feels like this is manageable again

In short: anybody know which driver the repair menu is requesting when it can't see my installs and where it is? Google is no help.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:18 PM

You may want to try Boot Repair and see if that sorts out the problem. You need an internet connection to facilitate the repair. What Windows OS are you using? 

https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/

Boot and select Recommended Repair.

Does this problem occur once past the grub menu and Windows boots complaining of the boot files missing? I am not sure BootRepair would work in this case but give it a try. If it fails use the Windows install disk or your OS to repair the BCD using command prompt.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 September 2017 - 03:18 PM.

#9 Idonegoofed

Idonegoofed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:49 PM

You may want to try Boot Repair and see if that sorts out the problem. You need an internet connection to facilitate the repair. What Windows OS are you using? 

https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/

Boot and select Recommended Repair.

Does this problem occur once past the grub menu and Windows boots complaining of the boot files missing? I am not sure BootRepair would work in this case but give it a try. If it fails use the Windows install disk or your OS to repair the BCD using command prompt.

It's worse now. A bunch of system files appear to be missing now, winboot.exe is missing error when I try to boot (I could at least boot before, broken as it was) and pressing F8 for more options throws the same error. What's strange is that the previously deleted partition that I used for the resize is intact but unallocated now and I reassigned the borked windows partition from F: to I: but repair identifies it as F: ...

I've learned a really hard lesson here. At least it was a learning experience.

Anyway, it's looking like reinstalling is my only option. Copied every file left intact to another drive and now I'm looking into how to transfer what I can to the new install I'm almost surely going to have to do.

What concerns me is the prospect of grub failing to recognize the new install, having to manually reinstall dozens of program dependencies, random missing files causing huge problems and all.

If there's some way to simply copy the missing files from my windows 7 iso, please let me know. Either way the responses have been much appreciated.

Edit: as a last-ditch attempt before giving up- if simply copying the missing files is not an option, what commands would you recommend I try? Bearing in mind repair recognizes the partition but not the install within. Any links you'd recommend?

Edited by Idonegoofed, 05 September 2017 - 03:54 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:21 PM

This is what I would do. Save your data files on the Windows Partition to your linux home. Using Gparted live I would delete all Windows partitions. Reinstall Windows which will remove grub. Use Boot Repair to restore Grub. 

Gparted Live is assuming linux and Windows resides on the same disk. If linux and windows are on separate disks use Gparted in your linux distro to delete the Windows partitions on the separate drive.

Regarding repairing Windows 7, if this is an MBR disk and not GPT then I would repair using the Windows 7 install disk. Boot the Windows install disk and at the Window that asks for language press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt. At the prompt type:

Diskpart

list disk      Is there an asterisk under the GPT column. If there is then the repair is a little different.

select disk X where X is the disk with the Windows install

list volume

The best you can do is repair the Boot files from the Windows partition using the bcdboot command. If that does not work I think your are looking at a reinstall of Windows.

https://www.tweakhound.com/2012/11/13/how-to-fix-the-windows-bootloader/

Under the nuclear option your Windows partition may not be C: using the Windows 7 boot disk. To find the correct letter you can use the following command. bcdboot copies the required boot files from the Windows partition.

Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice"

After doing the above you may need to use Boot Repair to repair grub.

Another tool you may interested in is SuperGrub2 disk.  You can boot the disk and it will find any bootable OS. 

#11 Idonegoofed

Idonegoofed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:49 PM

This is what I would do.

Going to try the recovery right after I feed the kids, thanks a lot.

Worth noting is that I installed win7 on a usb drive. I don't recall whether it broke grub, but I'd rather install on a separate pc and just try copying every file from the clean install, excepting those already on the partition, and then trying boot repair.

Since I've already backed up what's left, I figure it's worth a shot.

At any rate I'll be back later with an update.

Edit: it took some doing, but I managed to sort this mess out! Thanks to everybody for your tips and the support needed to not elbow drop my laptop through the table. Nice folks here :)

Edited by Idonegoofed, 05 September 2017 - 10:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users