Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software search - Windows app that notifies you whenever any app uses cam & mic?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 downloaderfan

downloaderfan

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:12 PM

This is basically what Micro Snitch for MacOS does, but I have yet to find an alternative that works with Windows. I searched for about an hour & found one program called Who Stalks My Cam that right now notifies only about webcam use, but it notified like after 40-45 seconds of webcam being used, you use the webcam for a lower amount of time than that & you are never notified. Would anyone here know of a program that would meet my requirements & works efficiently? Thanks.

Edited by downloaderfan, 04 September 2017 - 10:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:02 AM

Glasswire?

https://www.glasswire.com/features/

#3 downloaderfan

downloaderfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:38 AM

Thanks for your recommendation. Besides the fact that I have to pay to even test that feature, that application being a network activity monitoring program consumes even more resources than my antivirus program most of the time. It consumes about 3-4% of CPU at all times & sometimes gives spikes up to 25% in hard disk usage when my computer is idle, although that might increase depending on my network activity. Might not sound like a lot I know, but it seems to provide way too much extra from what I need & personally the trade off doesn't seem worth it. 

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:55 AM

What version of Windows?   Windows 10 gives you pretty much complete control over whether any apps can access either the camera or microphone and, when they do so, presents icons in the system tray to show that the camera, microphone, or both are currently active.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 downloaderfan

downloaderfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:26 PM

What version of Windows?   Windows 10 gives you pretty much complete control over whether any apps can access either the camera or microphone and, when they do so, presents icons in the system tray to show that the camera, microphone, or both are currently active.

I use Windows 10 creator's update, but no, windows 10 does not give you COMPLETE control. Only modern apps which are completely sandboxed can be controlled, but even in that case no icon is shown when a modern app/program uses cam or mic, an icon is shown only when location is accessed. I can disable cam & mic permission of modern apps, but that would make it highly inconvenient when I have to use them as I have to re-enable permission & then disable it again after usage. I would rather just prefer a notification, if I find a suspicious app, I'll just remove it. Anyway, permissions of traditional desktop programs can't be controlled & 95% programs on my PC are that. 

Edited by downloaderfan, 05 September 2017 - 12:27 PM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:11 PM

I did as much research as I can and cannot find any close equivalent of that Mac program for Windows.

Right now my webcam (built-in) is "disabled by wire" by me since I never use it.  Were I to use it but want to prevent unauthorized use I would simply craft a small flip cover that I kept in place over the lens except when I use it.  Given that my microphone opening is the size of a pin hole I would be covering that were I worried about unauthorized activation, but I'm not.

The only app I currently use much that accesses the microphone is Google Hangouts and it does result in an icon showing up in the system notification area when the microphone is active.

Why would you be suspicious of programs that you have installed yourself over time?  It is not in the best business interests of any commercial application developer to spy (and surreptitious activation of camera and/or microphone counts).

Have you ever had anything show up in Micro Snitch on the Mac that was unexpected?  

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 downloaderfan

downloaderfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:38 PM

Right now my webcam (built-in) is "disabled by wire" by me since I never use it.  Were I to use it but want to prevent unauthorized use I would simply craft a small flip cover that I kept in place over the lens except when I use it.  Given that my microphone opening is the size of a pin hole I would be covering that were I worried about unauthorized activation, but I'm not.   

Even I have two autohotkey scripts right now, one of them toggles the webcam driver & the other mutes/unmutes the microphone. The problem with this setup is that I have to REMEMBER to disable it after a call. There's a lot of room for human error there, thus not the best solution there can be.

Why would you be suspicious of programs that you have installed yourself over time?  It is not in the best business interests of any commercial application developer to spy (and surreptitious activation of camera and/or microphone counts).

A lot of them are closed sourced programs & I wouldn't disagree that the chances of them spying are rather unlikely but I need such a program as a safety measure in case it happens because if it happens there would be no warning. It's a case similar to why I have my AV installed. I haven't gotten a real malware on my PC for 7 years, but removing my AV just because of that would be unwise, since I can't know what kind of threats I may encounter in the future.

Have you ever had anything show up in Micro Snitch on the Mac that was unexpected?  

No, I don't own a Mac. During my search, that was the program that did exactly what I wanted, so I used that as an example. I already have a similar setup on my Android phone, wanted to do the same for Windows.

#8 Saphira2021

Saphira2021

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:57 AM

No, I don't own a Mac. During my search, that was the program that did exactly what I wanted, so I used that as an example. I already have a similar setup on my Android phone, wanted to do the same for Windows.

What do you use for Android phone? I would be very interested in that. 

My Logitech camera on computer has a flip cover that i can close when not in use. But nothing to turn on microphone.

Edited by Saphira2021, 25 September 2017 - 07:58 AM.

#9 downloaderfan

downloaderfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:36 AM

What do you use for Android phone? I would be very interested in that. 

Your phone needs to be rooted & also needs to have the xposed framework installed for my solution to work. To be notified about camera use by an app, there is a module called CameraNotify. It can turn On LED light & also display a persistent notification when your phone's camera is being used. Finding a module that notifies about mic use was hard & the only thing I could find was an abandoned github project that was never released publicly anywhere as an apk. - https://github.com/CzBiX/media-indicator 

Surprisingly, after I compiled apk from that github source, it worked & notified about both camera & mic use. It doesn't notify about camera & mic use by system apps though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users