Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My WiFi is Terrible

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 technomaniac

technomaniac

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:27 PM

Hey guys!

I am a geek. That's not a question. But even this problem, while I have lots of experience with networks, is beyond me.

I have had this ASUS Q302LA laptop for 3 or so years now. It's wifi was totally fine back when I first got it. A year or so ago, it started having problems, though. My wifi stopped working well. When I used to get 25Mbps in my room, I suddenly started getting around 1.5Mbps there instead. I thought it was my monitors blocking the signal, so I moved them and saw a short burst of speed, then back to 1.5Mbps again. So, I thought it was the adapter.

I tried 2 different wifi adapters inside my computer, one was an older one from my previous HP laptop (the laptop was crap, so of course being HP the laptop broke twice) and I tried another from eBay. While these wifi adapters weren't anything fancy or top notch, they could still do the job, but they didn't. They also worked for a few minutes to a few hours or so, then went back to my original 1.5Mbps. Moving on, what about an external wifi adapter.

I tried the external wifi adapter, and finally I had my normal speeds! Oh, but wait, it messed up again after about a week. I was, again, back to 1.5Mbps.

What about a network reset? No good. A driver update? Success for about a minute, then back to slow speeds. Uninstall the driver and reboot? No good.

Let's get closer to the router. It works perfectly fine. Until after about 15 minutes of use it slows down and becomes unreliable, reliable, and so on. The internet near the router is shaky still. But all other devices work fine with normal speeds in my room anyway.

Maybe it was a problem with the router? Nope, all other devices work fine and no matter what settings I change, there is still a problem. I even changed the router twice!

I'm stuck. I have no clue what on Earth could be causing this problem! Thanks ahead of time for the support!

I have the same question on Microsoft Community so here's the link for reference:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking-winpc/my-wifi-is-terrible/580307ac-a0c0-420d-b9ed-747bbab2c7fb?tm=1504575385221

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:08 PM

At first I read 'my wife is terrible', lol.:lmao:

Anyways, do as you've been told in the Microsoft forums by getting an Ethernet adapter - if the problem persists, there is nothing wrong with your network, but with the laptop's hardware or its OS.

In the mean time, just to be sure, please, clear your browser's cache. Then, on your keyboard press the Windows key + R simultaneously. Then, type Cleanmgr. Then, press Enter. Then, press OK. Then, wait for the clean-up to finish. Then, restart your computer. Then, download, install and run Malwarebytes, Avast (or any anti-virus by your choice if you don't have any) and AdwCleaner. Then, restart your computer. If the problem still persists, you might have some sort of a program or service in your computer's start up process that clogs your Internet speed when it enables after some time from starting your computer. You can check this by typing in "Msconfig" (without the commas) into the Start menu. Then, press Enter. Then, click on Services. Then, tick on the bottom Hide all Microsoft services, so that it has a tick in the box. Then, check if there's anything suspicious. Then, click on Startup (on the right to Services) and do the same. Do the things that I've told you about as potential steps to resolving your problem in progress one after another. If nothing else helps, you can either try to do a clean re-install of your OS and if it happens again, then it is 100% a hardware-related issue, with which I can't help you. Good luck, mate!:)

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:10 PM

I'm going to venture a wild guess or two:

-- could there be something near by, inside or outside, that could be inteferring with your wifi?

-- if the modem/router is in one room and the laptop is in another room, could there be something between router and laptop inteferring with your wifi?

JustOneQuestion posted at the same time I did -- I like his post much better than mine, go with his post.

Edited by RolandJS, 04 September 2017 - 10:12 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:12 PM

I'm going to venture a wild guess or two:

-- could there be something near by, inside or outside, that could be inteferring with your wifi?

-- if the modem/router is in one room and the laptop is in another room, could there be something between router and laptop inteferring with your wifi?

But why then would all his other devices function properly from the same spot in the home?

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:14 PM

I'm going to venture a wild guess or two:...

But why then would all his other devices function properly from the same spot in the home?

I did not know everything else worked.

Edited by RolandJS, 04 September 2017 - 10:15 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 technomaniac

technomaniac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:32 AM

Thanks to everyone who helped! My wifi has been fixed for at least now, but we will see what happens in the future. After about a week I will reply here again and tell you how it is going. I think I now know why this happened:

1. Google Chrome Cache
The cache on my browser was cleared and it sped up the internet by about double (Near 3Mbps).

2. Wifi Adapter
Changing the old wifi adapter to the new one I had bought (Ralink RT3090) and updating that driver sped it up to near 7Mbps.

3. Built-in Antenna/Adapter
Using my original external adapter that had slowed down, it gave me speeds of up to 14Mbps. That is about as fast as it will get at my desk. Otherwise in my room where my previous tests were, around 25Mbps is achieved once again with the external adapter. This must mean that either the cheap internal adapter that I bought is not that great or the antenna inside my computer is giving out. Either way, I have okay speeds with either adapter.

I am going to buy a new antenna for my laptop and see what happens while I am waiting for my USB to Ethernet adapter. Thanks again to all your help!

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:27 PM

Before you rush out and buy a new antenna - plus all the sweat of fitting it - check the antenna connections at the wifi unit. They should be clipped on and I have known them come off. If the antenna terminal is merely resting against the signal out connector this will do horrible things to your performance.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 technomaniac

technomaniac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:07 PM

Before you rush out and buy a new antenna - plus all the sweat of fitting it - check the antenna connections at the wifi unit. They should be clipped on and I have known them come off. If the antenna terminal is merely resting against the signal out connector this will do horrible things to your performance.

Chris Cosgrove

As many times as I have changed the internal adapter*, I have checked the connections so they are fine. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

*I meant to say adapter and I put antenna earlier.

Edited by technomaniac, 07 September 2017 - 08:13 AM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:22 PM

According to the specs the computer is supposed to have a Ethernet port unless I saw a different sub model. 

Edit: I believe the page I saw is wrong. The computer does not come with an Ethernet port. Did you notice if the speed slowdown came after an update to Windows 10?

Edit Edit: How are the speeds using "Safe Mode with Networking"

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 September 2017 - 06:43 PM.

#10 technomaniac

technomaniac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:46 PM

According to the specs the computer is supposed to have a Ethernet port unless I saw a different sub model. 

Edit: I believe the page I saw is wrong. The computer does not come with an Ethernet port. Did you notice if the speed slowdown came after an update to Windows 10?

I didn't see the slowdown until a while after updating to Windows 10. At first I thought it could be Windows 10 but I still got full speed at times with Windows 10. I have a USB to Ethernet adapter coming as well as a new antenna for my laptop by the way. I will test the speeds and post them here.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:53 PM

I edited my post. How are the speeds using Safe Mode with Networking?

#12 technomaniac

technomaniac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:10 AM

I edited my post. How are the speeds using Safe Mode with Networking?

I can't believe I hadn't thought of that before. I tested them, but with no external adapter the internet would connect but the speed test failed every time I tried it. It only has a successful test in normal Windows. But, websites will still load slowly.

Edited by technomaniac, 07 September 2017 - 08:11 AM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:56 AM

I think this is a hardware problem but I can't understand why the USB dongle and built in Wifi card have the same problem. Have you tried booting a live linux DVD and see how the speeds are? That would at least rule out a hardware problem if the speed in linux is not slow. 

If the wifi driver is in the linux kernel you should see the available wifi connections by clicking the networking symbol in Mint. Try both the Built in card and the USB dongle.

Try Mint Cinnamon if you don't have an available linux distro. For this computer's age try 17.2. You will need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings.

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=190

Edit: During the booting of Mint it may ask for keyboard input. Do not input anything. Wait until you are at the Mint desktop.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 September 2017 - 08:58 AM.

#14 technomaniac

technomaniac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:26 AM

I think this is a hardware problem but I can't understand why the USB dongle and built in Wifi card have the same problem. Have you tried booting a live linux DVD and see how the speeds are? That would at least rule out a hardware problem if the speed in linux is not slow. 

If the wifi driver is in the linux kernel you should see the available wifi connections by clicking the networking symbol in Mint. Try both the Built in card and the USB dongle.

Try Mint Cinnamon if you don't have an available linux distro. For this computer's age try 17.2. You will need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings.

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=190

Edit: During the booting of Mint it may ask for keyboard input. Do not input anything. Wait until you are at the Mint desktop.

I actually tried booting into Puppy Linux and into Elementary OS. They both had problems with drivers so I couldn't get any results. I may try a different distro later.

See my next reply and I'll tell you what was going on with the external adapter and how I fixed that.

#15 technomaniac

technomaniac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:55 AM

I'm back with more results. My internet randomly slows down with the external dongle, and here's why:

The external adapter slows down after constant use. If I unplug it and plug it back in it will speed up back to normal. That was the problem from the start for the external adapter in general, but clearing the cache fixed a lot to help it get there at first.

I'm still waiting for the antenna to come, hopefully today. The USB to Ethernet is still on its way too.

Thanks to everyone for all your help again. I love the forums!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users