Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor just out of nowhere turns black, GPU fans not spinning

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 horseborn

horseborn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:17 PM

Hi! So earlier today, out of nowhere, the screen turned black and the screen read "no signal". I turned the computer off, and then back on and it worked, for about 2 minutes. "No signal", getting kinda worried at this point, because I had a problem just like this about a year ago, which got very expensive because I basically replaced everything inside the computer, GPU, CPU, PSU, you name it. I plug my DVI cable into my integrated graphics card, the monitor gets signal. I go grab my HDMI and try to get a signal with that, but that doesn't work either, it works with the integrated one though, which leads me to believe this is solely a problem with the GPU,no? Not really sure what to do, I take a look inside my cabinet and see that the GPU fans aren't spinning.

I run: Windows 10 home, Intel Core i5-4690k, Corsair RM 850X, My integrated Graphics card is Intel HD Graphics 4600, and the GPU I believe to be faulty is a Gainward GeForce GTX 970 4GB Phantom

I would really, really appreciate any help, I really cannot afford to buy a new one. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:44 PM

GPU fans not spinning is I believe not necessarily an issue on the GTX 970. Many of them, I understand, use a silent fan profile where the fan doesn't start spinning until the GPU hits a certain temperature.  However, the card not outputting a signal, and your description of the display failing after two minutes, the fact it does it with two good cables and furthermore everything working OK from the integrated GPU seems to point at the GPU being the problem.

You could power off the computer completely and then remove and firmly reseat the card and double check the power connections to it.  Sometimes something as simple a poor connection at the PCIe slot can cause problems.  You might also try a different PCIe X16 slot if available (note on most motherboards, secondary X16 PCIe slots don't operate at full speed).  If the problems continue, then I would check your warranty documentation.  From Googling "Gainward warranty period", I get results showing that in the UK Gainward GPU's have a two year warranty.  I cannot see any information on their own site about their warranty period though, so I don't know if this applies worldwide.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users