Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dual boot linux/winblows?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 enfant terrible

enfant terrible

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:33 PM

Can anyone help me install linux but also keep windows on my machine? I'd prefer a really use-friendly iteration like Mint. TIA for any help anyone can give me. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:55 PM

https://www.tecmint.com/install-linux-mint-18-alongside-windows-10-or-8-in-dual-boot-uefi-mode/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 enfant terrible

enfant terrible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:52 PM

OK, I got this far. How much should I shrink? (I'm installing 64-bit.) 

Attached Files

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:48 PM

Shrink it more or less in half, but i would actually have you use Gparted in linux to shrink things so you dont mess up windows by mistake:

Gparted is on mints live image

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 731 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:40 AM

You might want to consider whether you want to just run Mint from a VM, rather than dual boot, if you're worried about messing up your current Windows boot set up.

http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2014/05/how-to-install-linux-mint-as-virtual.html

The article I've linked to uses a now out of date version of Mint, so just replace that with a current version.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 09 September 2017 - 05:18 AM

Gary R is proving great advise above, if new to Linux, will usually go through a few distros until 'the one' is found. :)

This also provides some Linux experience before installing the distro as a dual boot, as most of my Linux Mint installs now are. Yet back in 2009, had a spare notebook with Windows XP Pro, didn't really need two with the same OS, so after imaging the drive for safety. Which you should already be doing, as well as create Factory Recovery media for your OS, before any dual boot setup, as unlike BIOS/MBR, on UEFI systems with GPT partitioning, we can't simply set the Recovery partition as Active with a partition tool & reload the OS. Either a Full drive image must be created beforehand, or have the recovery media set on DVD's or a USB Flash drive of 16GiB or larger (I prefer both options). :)

It would be helpful to us if you provide your system specs, so that we can make the best suggestion, Speccy is a good tool for this & free, install, open & once the information is loaded, click the File tab, then Publish snapshot, you'll then be given a link to copy/paste in your response. Not to worry, the things you see such as your Windows COA, IP address & other potentially personally identifiable information will be changes to random values. We'll simply see what hardware setup that you have & can further advise you.

While this is an older version, performs the same & is hosted on our servers, screened for safety. :)

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Good Luck!

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users