Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NordVPN versus?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hateway

hateway

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:33 PM

I have read extensive articles about why you need a vpn and why you don't. Most conclusions point to NordVPN, but I don't like the fact that they have nonexistent support. I stream audio from Google Play & watch youtube, and work from home using TeamViewer 12 on Win 8.1 with standard firewall and modem settings. Should I get a VPN, and why or why not NordVPN?

Many thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,953 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:45 PM

A virtual private network (VPN) essentially extends a private network across a public network (Internet) and enables a computer to send and receive data across a public network as if it were directly connected to the private network. VPNs provide security by the use of tunneling protocols, encryption and authenticated remote access. A VPN helps to protect you from identity theft, hides your IP address, and allows you to secure your transmitted data, financial transactions and personal information while online.As with most other security programs, there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no one best VPN implementation for all situations. There are advantages and disadvantages...each has its own strengths and weaknesses.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 hateway

hateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:48 PM

A virtual private network (VPN) essentially extends a private network across a public network (Internet) and enables a computer to send and receive data across a public network as if it were directly connected to the private network. VPNs provide security by the use of tunneling protocols, encryption and authenticated remote access. A VPN helps to protect you from identity theft, hides your IP address, and allows you to secure your transmitted data, financial transactions and personal information while online.

As with most other security programs, there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no one best VPN implementation for all situations. There are advantages and disadvantages...each has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Thank you! Would you recommend NordVPN?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,953 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:01 PM

I am not familiar with NordVPN. Perhaps someone who does will read this topic and reply.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 pcgamer1000

pcgamer1000

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:02 PM

A virtual private network (VPN) essentially extends a private network across a public network (Internet) and enables a computer to send and receive data across a public network as if it were directly connected to the private network. VPNs provide security by the use of tunneling protocols, encryption and authenticated remote access. A VPN helps to protect you from identity theft, hides your IP address, and allows you to secure your transmitted data, financial transactions and personal information while online.

As with most other security programs, there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no one best VPN implementation for all situations. There are advantages and disadvantages...each has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Thank you! Would you recommend NordVPN?

Yes, I've used It for couple of time now Its good.

#6 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,633 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 04:31 PM

Have never used it myself but there is a year old review- along with good VPN advice in general:

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/2016/09/03/nordvpn-review/

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#7 hateway

hateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 04:32 PM

Great, thanks, all! I will read through the links above and give it a spin!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users