Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Not Starting - Will Not Allow Start-up In Safe Mode Either

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 00swan

00swan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:17 AM

Hi - hope someone can help?

Windows XP Home tries to start up - gets so far, then I get the following screen:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

Blah, blah, blah

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last known Good Configeration
Start Windows normally

Regardless of which option I choose, it just restarts & cycles back to this screen. I do not have any discs for this pc - 2nd hand.

Any help will be seriously appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 06:28 PM

Two things to try: first, boot from the Windows XP cd, and once in Windows setup it will tell you to press f2 if you want to repair your XP installation using Recovery Console. do this. Once in RcoveryConsole, choose your windows installtion and type chkdsk. This will check your HD for errors. Ifit finds any, your HD is probably bad, and is causing the eroor you keep getting. If it does not find any errors, type in fixboot. This will fix the bootsector on your HD. After this completes, type fixmbr. This will fix the master boot record on your HD. Once your done with these things, restart and see if you can get into Windows. If you still cannot get into Windows, boot from the windows cd again, and this time instead of going into recovery console, elect to install windows XP. It will search your HD for previous installations, and when it finds it it will give you the option of doing a repair installation. Do this. What this does is reinstalls all the system files, but leaves all your programs and files intact. This will certainly fix the problem, if the previous method did not.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:30 PM

Hi - hope someone can help?

Windows XP Home tries to start up - gets so far, then I get the following screen:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

Blah, blah, blah

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last known Good Configeration
Start Windows normally

Regardless of which option I choose, it just restarts & cycles back to this screen. I do not have any discs for this pc - 2nd hand.

Any help will be seriously appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

What brand and model is this computer?
Some brand name computers have a hidden restore partition on their hard drive which can be accessed before Windows starts if they are so equipped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users