Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the best antivirus software 2017

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kamara

kamara

• Banned Spammer
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:18 PM

Which software is best for virus scanning, for low profile computers. Currently I am using KIS anti-virus software but the machine is running too slow, there is no way to fix it

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcgamer1000

pcgamer1000

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:05 PM

Hello,

In this case that KIS Is too slow for you so I'll suggest you to move to ESET Internet Security.

#3 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 04:55 PM

Emsisoft Anti-malware perform well on low-end machines ( i use it on one of my machines, with  1gb ram, AMD atom cpu). In addition, you can optimize its memory usage in case of issues.

See here for performance tests: https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/avc_per_201705_en.pdf

Edited by Umbra, 04 September 2017 - 04:56 PM.

Emsisoft Community Manager

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:19 PM

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no one best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware.

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs.

Here are links to some related discussion topics:

You also may want to read Choosing an Anti-Virus Program where I provide comments as to why I recommend ESET and Emsisoft.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:07 PM

also consider, if your OS is Windows 10, that the inbuilt MS supplied Windows Defender has been rating as good as any of the others since the start of the year.

as Umbra as shown, use the AV test sites to see comparisons, you'll find they all rate fairly evenly, especially the free offerings.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:11 PM

In addition, your history of infections (or the lack thereof) is the best indicator of the probability of subsequent infection.

If you have a history of no infections there's probably not a single antivirus or security suite available that's not more than adequate for your needs.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:17 PM

Along with a good anti-virus, you can use Windows' built-in firewall -- it is very good!

I used several different 3rd party firewall over the years, finally settled on Windows 7 Professional's firewall.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 SaraDominus

SaraDominus

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:06 AM

I would recommend Bitdefender, Norton and F-secure, but realistically the best antivirus software is using your brain to avoid sketchy downloads and websites. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Ratings, performance and security of the applications changed month to month, it would be hard to establish one.

Bitdefender Antivirus delivers multiple layers of protection against ransomware. It uses behavioral threat detection to prevent infections, and protects your most important documents from ransomware encryption. With Bitdefender Antivirus, you can stop worrying about losing your data or money, and enjoy life and your devices. Moreover, it optimizes performance preserves speed and battery life and Simplifies security with online control

F-Secure Keeps your security always up-to-date with automatic updates with advanced malware removal technology. Its DeepGuard is a cloud based system that aims to detect the modern-day threats and vulnerabilities

For people who seem to think anti-virus programs are waste of time if they go on the internet and they depend on windows to protect them I would say there is a 99.9 percent chance they are already infected with some form of virus or malware. I have found that the better ones are VERY hard to breach and although it is still possible to get a virus the odds are slim to none. Without them you're almost guaranteed you will pick something up in short order is just a fact in the modern age.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:52 AM

For people who seem to think anti-virus programs are waste of time if they go on the internet and they depend on windows to protect them I would say there is a 99.9 percent chance they are already infected with some form of virus or malware. I have found that the better ones are VERY hard to breach and although it is still possible to get a virus the odds are slim to none. Without them you're almost guaranteed you will pick something up in short order is just a fact in the modern age.

I respectfully disagree, although I would never, ever recommend going without an antivirus if you're using a Windows system and interacting with cyberspace.

It really depends on your browsing/clicking habits.   I cannot remember (and I mean that literally) the last time any antivirus or antimalware scanner has had a detection of anything beyond a PUP (and several of those were wanted) in my household.  Everyone here follows generally safe browsing behavior and knows that you never, ever click on random pop-ups that might appear with dire warnings in them (or otherwise, for that matter).

Your personal history of infection is the single best predictor of whether you are likely to have another.   If you've been subject to frequent infections then it would be really wise to sit down and examine your own browsing/clicking habits.  Most viruses, malware, and even ransomware don't "wheedle their way in" to a system; they're invited in by user action.

I always recommend that anyone read what one of our own security experts, quietman7, has to say regarding security basics:

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#10 vacuum tube

vacuum tube

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:22 PM

i have used eset [paid] for a few years and no issues on win 7 

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:26 PM

I've been using Emsisoft Anti-Malware (which includes an anti-virus engine) for some time now; no problems once I did the configuration.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#12 SaraDominus

SaraDominus

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:03 AM

I respectfully disagree, although I would never, ever recommend going without an antivirus if you're using a Windows system and interacting with cyberspace.

It really depends on your browsing/clicking habits.   I cannot remember (and I mean that literally) the last time any antivirus or antimalware scanner has had a detection of anything beyond a PUP (and several of those were wanted) in my household.  Everyone here follows generally safe browsing behavior and knows that you never, ever click on random pop-ups that might appear with dire warnings in them (or otherwise, for that matter).

Your personal history of infection is the single best predictor of whether you are likely to have another.   If you've been subject to frequent infections then it would be really wise to sit down and examine your own browsing/clicking habits.  Most viruses, malware, and even ransomware don't "wheedle their way in" to a system; they're invited in by user action.

I always recommend that anyone read what one of our own security experts, quietman7, has to say regarding security basics:

Highly Appreciated, and it is also important to have a good understanding of Information Security policies and procedures and how to avoid viruses. The primary source for a security breach in the network is the lack of education of a user.

So the related education Helps protect individuals from being victims of security incidents. Provides an understanding of steps to follow in the event of a security incident.

Moreover, delete an unexpected or unsolicited message. Use of anti-virus software to scan attachments before opening. Delete similar messages that appear more than once in your Inbox. 

#13 SaraDominus

SaraDominus

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:17 AM

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no one best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware.

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs.

Here are links to some related discussion topics:

You also may want to read Choosing an Anti-Virus Program where I provide comments as to why I recommend ESET and Emsisoft.

I agreed. Actually, the best antivirus software is using your brain to avoid sketchy downloads and websites. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Ratings, performance, and security of the applications changed month to month, it would be hard to establish one. But having Antivirus installed on the system is indeed important. Even if you use your PC for nothing but posting political screeds on social media, you still need to protect it with an antivirus. Just imagine if some hacktivist owned your account and started slamming your candidate!

Edited by SaraDominus, 15 February 2018 - 03:48 AM.

#14 chatwina

chatwina

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:17 AM

If you are looking for a free anti-virus software to install onto your device, please follow the link below.

https://www.avast.com/en-gb/lp-ppc-free-antivirus?device=c&ppc=b2&gclid=CjwKCAiA8bnUBRA-EiwAc0hZk1aTtrB4L-T2CrLtUevQdsjfJ_T8LsQ8QIwkge2Rp_LNDqKhaihSaxoCW_8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMKOkeOwudkCFXMf0wod3IcFtg

Avast is a really good free anti-virus software which does also offer for you to update and pay for the full verison if you want to.

Avast offer the basic anti-virus software which will protect your device from viruses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users