Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying a basic laptop help.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brian8174

Brian8174

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:55 AM

I'm looking to buy a basic laptop that is capable of surfing the net, watching YouTube and hopefully streaming Kodi Kids to my tv with little to no issues.

My buddy said I should look for a computer with at least 2.5 processor but waa wondering if that is absolutely nessenecessary or if it's possible to go a bit lower.

I have looked at this on on eBay

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.ca/itm/201948722817

And a couple on Amazon.ca.

As it's just basic, hoping for a price below 300 (before taxes)

And an extra.question that isn't really computer related but, another buddy told me there's a device you can plug in to your tv that allows you to stream from laptop to tv, what's the name of it ? Do I need a usb port, or can I get an adapter for a HDMI port as my tv is a bit older and doesn't have a USB port.

Thank you in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Brian8174

Brian8174
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:36 PM

Is this too vague of a question? Second computer forum I've posted on and no one has responded to it.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:05 PM

You can use a device like a Chromecast or Amazon Fire TV Stick to convert your old TV to a SmartTV, no computer required.  (WiFi required)

What I know about Apple computers is that you can buy one Apple or two PCs.  New Egg Canada has some refurbished machines that would fit your price point and provide a more powerful processor.  I don't know if Windows is an option.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,428 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:32 PM

Why a laptop?

Most of the refurb Dell systems I saw...were SFF or other desktops.

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=refurbished+laptops

Louis

#5 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:00 PM

That laptop on Ebay seems like a scam. Originally over a grand? The components were ancient. For what you want you can get a firestick as mention or a Roku, android box. All of those you can get Kodi on and surf the net. Not sure about downloading anything other than apps.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,428 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:47 PM

I don't know anything about Macs...but I do have a PC with a Core2 Duo processor and 4GB RAM.  I purchased it over a year ago and paid something like $125 for it.  Runs fine for what it is.

But...I believe that any notebook which has less than 4GB RAM, regardless of CPU, is going to be a frustration-creator.

You might visit the BC Mac forum and ask the users their opinions of the eBay system.

Louis

#7 Brian8174

Brian8174
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:06 AM

I saw a Chrome cast on Amazon I believe it was.

Thought about an Android box, but want to be able to store some pictures on and download files in email easier.

A laptop mainly because there's no room to put a desktop.

Thanks for the responses!

#8 Brian8174

Brian8174
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:54 AM

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00VUV0MG0/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504695250&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=laptop&dpPl=1&dpID=41B8RCvXshL&ref=plSrch

Hopefully thia link works. This is the one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users