Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need A New Fps - Any Suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:01 AM

I like Doom3, Halo, FEAR, HalfLife2, etc and am looking for another similar game. I'd like it to be single player since I don't have the time to play on-line. What do you suggest?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 09:44 AM

Are these limited to PC or can they be console games as well?

For PC,

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfare (I think thats right) is out for PC. Have you tried Far Cry at all? Doom 3 also had that expansion, didn't see if you might have played it though. There are some good Half-Life 2 mods too. I'd highly recommend playing the Minerva: Metastasis mod (two episodes so far). Also, its a Half-Life 1 mod, but its pretty freaky and its called Afraid of Monsters.

I'm not sure on any release dates but there will be an expansion to F.E.A.R. coming out sometime (FEAR-Extraction Point). Half-Life 2: Episode 2 (with Team Fortress 2 and Portals) will be out sometime after the start of 2007.

#3 usasma

usasma

• Topic Starter

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:02 AM

PC only - I grew up on the keyboard and can't stand game controllers!

Tried FarCry - just didn't like it all that much but might give it another try.

I'm not real keen on the mods, but then again, since I'm desparate I'll probably try them also.

I'll check on the Doom3 expansion pack and Ghost Recon.

Any opinions on Quake 4? I've seen it out, but haven't read all that much about it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:19 AM

I liked Quake 4. Looks similar to Doom 3, but it's not as dark. Nothing revolutionary, rather some good old-fashioned FPS gameplay.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 17 September 2006 - 10:20 AM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:06 PM

Oh speaking of Doom 3 and Quake 4, there is Prey. It uses a modified version of the Doom 3 engine. The portals and death walking thing is cool in the begining, but it gets old and boring real quick. Especially when you die multiple times in the same fight.

#6 usasma

usasma

• Topic Starter

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:17 AM

Headed out right now to get Quake 4. Will work on the rest as time permits. Thanks to all for their input! Feel free to keep adding to this post as I'll be checking back periodically for more good ideas!

#7 BlackDeath

BlackDeath

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 01:45 PM

Ill give ya a good one! If you can find it IGI2 Covert Strike It sells for about $5.00 US now I saw it at Wallmart recently! If your looking for some tough SP action with good graphics and a good story this is it ! I still play the MP every now and then theres only about 100 people left still playing it but its still alot of fun! If the net code was made better this would have been the best FPS in history!

#8 LaChica

LaChica

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:10 PM

Multiplayer: Enemy Territory

You download it from here.
http://returntocastlewolfenstein.filefront...ases/Demos;2666
Then download the patch.
http://returntocastlewolfenstein.filefront...h_Windows;39483

I have no idea why they actually try and sell it in disc format.

Single Player: Return to Castle Wolfenstein

I dunno where you can download it. You might have to buy it.
Posted Image

#9 usasma

usasma

• Topic Starter

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:53 AM

Well, I'm done with Quake 4 already - it was fun!

I picked up a copy of Ghost Recon at WalMart and tried to install it on my laptop - wouldn't work! Gonna try it on the desktop next.

Also picked up FarCry for only $10 - can't beat that!

I'll also try out the others that have been suggested. Thanks for the info!

#10 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:24 AM

$10? damn.

I paid $20 for my copy, lol.

#11 TheEnglandSniper

TheEnglandSniper

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 02:35 PM

i would have to suggest Call Of Duty 2 .to me its the best FPS out there and single player is awesome too .

#12 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:25 PM

Speaking of Call of Duty, the COD games are now available on Steam which is kind of cool. I really hope that COD3 comes to PC apart from just next-gen consoles.

#13 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:50 PM

Well, if you want a good single-player game, then I'd suggest Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway. It'll be out next year and it's a really great game.

There's a 20 min video demo on Gametrailers, check it out if you're interested. It's an intense squad-based FPS.

#14 usasma

usasma

• Topic Starter

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:09 AM

I'm trying FarCry and Ghost Recon right now. Neither are actually what I'm looking for (I just want to cruize around, maybe solve a few puzzles, and shoot a lot of bad guys).

The actual game for FarCry is a bit better than the demo - but not much (IMO). But, Ghost Recon won't work on my laptop, so it'll have to do!

Ghost Recon is awesome - but isn't what I'm looking for either (although, in time it may become my favorite). I'm still dying a lot - but I'm learning (and my patrolling experience from the Army does come in handy)

I'll have a look at Call Of Duty and Brothers in Arms. Thanks for the suggestions!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users