Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to recover using Backup and restore (without system image)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dominikCZ

dominikCZ

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:31 AM

Hello,

I have Windows 10 backups made using the Backup and Restore tool. I have those "normal backups" (sorry, I don't know how do you call it, I mean those incremental backups where you can search for an individual file) of my whole C: drive, but I don't have a system image backup (because it took really long to complete, those "incremental" backups are much much faster).

Can I restore my computer to an original state using windows 10 installation media and those "normal backups" in a case my system gets totally dumped?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:20 AM

Since there is a constant flow of information regarding what's being added, improved, deprecated, or removed from the ongoing versions of Windows 10 it's easy to miss something.

I had not noticed that System Image Backup was being removed from the fall update, and it was brought to my attention a short while ago when I was discussing options for taking system image backups elsewhere.

Since I presume that there is a contingent here that likely uses the built-in System Image Backup utility in Windows now would be the time to start looking at free (if you're a home user) or paid third party options.

For the details see:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034825/features-that-are-removed-or-deprecated-in-windows-10-fall-creators-up and search the page for system image.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:52 AM

Macrium Reflect is a free program which clones the mass storage units.  Macrium Reflect supports backup to local, network and USB drives as well as burning to all DVD formats. This version is for non-commercial home use.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dominikCZ

dominikCZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:07 AM

Thank you. I meant something a bit different. Imagine following situation:

My whole hard drive with both "Reserved by system" and C: partitions stops functioning. I buy a new hard drive, but I want my computer to be in the same state as before this accident. I have a Windows installation USB stick and a backup of all the files on my C: drive (including system files), but this is not a system image backup and I don't have a backup of the "Reserved by system" partition.

Can I recover my computer from the backup without reinstalling all of my software? How?

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:11 AM

The simple answer is "no, you can't."

If there is a way I have not heard of it and would never spend the time trying to find it.  It is a simple matter to maintain user data backup with Windows 10 File History and to take system image backups with the third party backup tool of your choosing.

If you want to be able to restore with ease you must have a system image backup.  The sort of backup you describe having does not include your system registry, among other things, which is an essential element if one does not want to have to reinstall software.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:17 AM

When you install Windows 10 it will create two partitions, the System Reserved partition which holds the Boot Manager code, and a second partition which the operating system is installed on.

If you have all of your data saved to removable media you can install this after installing the Windows operating system.

The beauty of a cloned copy of your operating system is that it will have all of your data, programs, pictures, everything saved and ready to make a fresh installation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users