Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer extremely slow: hard drive failing?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bommelding

Bommelding

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:25 AM

Hello everyone,

A few days ago my computer suddenly became very (and i mean VERY) slow. To the point where starting windows explorer and right clicking my C-drive in order to check it, takes well over an hour. I tried checking the C-drive because task manager showed that the HDD was used for 100% almost the entire time. The drive check gave an 'ok', so I decided to just restart the PC and see if things would be better. This time, the pc started but there was no display at all. The monitor simply said 'no display'. After waiting for +-10 minutes, I switched off the computer by holding the power switch, and tried rebooting it. However, when it restarted I was faced with a BSOD. I tried to use system restore, but there were no restore points available, even though I was quite sure I had set it to make a restore point every once in a while... After a while I decided to do a total format and reinstall Windows.

After this reinstallation, the pc worked wonderfully again. For one day. That's when it started getting extremely slow again. Once again, I restarted it. While shutting the computer down, it started to process some windows updates. Upon booting again, it showed the message 'Getting windows ready. Don't turn off your computer.' for hours. After a long time, it finally booted, only to get 'no display' again. This time, I left it like that for the entire night. When I woke up in the morning, there was a blue screen telling me that Windows experienced a problem upon booting, and that I should restart the pc. Upon restarting, it booted like normal. However, it is still extremely slow. Still thinking the HDD was the problem, I ran a chkdsk and S.M.A.R.T. test (WMIC), which both gave an 'OK'. 

I still suspect it is a hardware problem due to the clean install not helping. However, I can't seem to identify which piece of hardware is failing. I tried running perfmon /report, but that keeps giving me the error 'The operator or administrator had refused the request.'.

Does anybody have any idea how to identify the problem?

I'm running Windows 8.1 on a home-built PC that has been working fine for the last two years. The pc contains an Intel I5-4460 CPU, Cooler master G500 PSU, ASRock Fatal1ty B85 killer motherboard, EVGA GeForce GTX 960 GPU, 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical RAM and a WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB HDD. All parts are two years old except for the HDD, which is three years old.

EDIT: I ran CrystalDiskInfo to check my hard drive more thoroughly. It showed the following warning about the current pending sector count:

c25ux.png

Can anyone explain to me what this means and if I can fix it?

Edited by Bommelding, 04 September 2017 - 06:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,580 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:48 AM

download and test the hard drive using the WD software,

if you are unable to do this on that computer i would suggest removing the hard drive and connecting it to another computer to test it,

run the long test, not the quick one

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3&lang=en

Edited by mikey11, 04 September 2017 - 06:48 AM.

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:49 AM

Download, unzip and run Speccy64. Open  Speccy64. Wait 1 minute. Click on File. Click on Publish Snapshot. Click Yes. Then, paste the link in this topic.:)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:00 AM

I would backup any important data you have on the drive immediately. Pending Reallocated Sectors means you have 111 sectors that cannot be read and reallocated. If the sectors could be read you would see a number on Reallocated Event Count which is still at zero. After backing up your data then do the HDD test with the WD software mikey posted. Doing a test on a failing drive can stress it and cause it to fail.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 September 2017 - 08:01 AM.

#5 Bommelding

Bommelding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:26 PM

After backing up my important data, I tested the drive using the WD software.

This resulted in the following :mellow: :

9uvpd1.png

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,831 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:32 PM

That drive is failing. I would purchase a new one or RMA if under warranty.

#7 Bommelding

Bommelding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:40 PM

Speccy results: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/6PRQAMqFHjF1wLFwWRAIQkI 

That drive is failing. I would purchase a new one or RMA if under warranty.

That's what I feared after seeing the WD software results :(

Unfortunately, the warranty was only 2 years and the drive is 3 years old. Is it normal for an HDD to start failing at such a young age? Or could it be that I somehow caused this myself?

Edited by Bommelding, 04 September 2017 - 01:42 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,831 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:10 PM

Today's hard drives are junk compared to what they were 10 years ago. A new drive can fail at any time. That's why it's always important to have a backup of your important data and also a complete disk image on an external hard drive. Your backup data you cannot live without should be offsite if possible.

#9 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,580 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:46 PM

After backing up my important data, I tested the drive using the WD software.

This resulted in the following :mellow: :

9uvpd1.png

that drive is toast....

#10 Bommelding

Bommelding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:54 AM

Yesterday I've installed a new SSD and removed the failing HDD, and so far my PC has been working great again!

Thank you for helping me identify the problem! :)

Edited by Bommelding, 07 September 2017 - 04:55 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users